• Delaware Coast Line Railway

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by DERailroader

I thought for my first post, I'd talk about something close to home (Lewes).

It seems that the "station" in Lewes used for Queen Anne's is being dismantled and torn down.

The line splitting to the old station (the brick one) is paved over and turned into a parking lot for a insurance company with the station crumbling away.

Question though, I was at the library and saw what seemed like a line parallel the existing one existed at one point (250' of rails seemed to be there). Anyone know of where/what it was used for?
  by livercup

If you are looking from the library, and the tracks you speak of are on the opposite side, that is where the line split to Rehoboth. A bit further west from there the line split off on the library side and connected to the old Queen Anne RR (Lewes to Love Point, Md). The only part of that line left is the Milton Branch. There was another connection to the QA east of the moveable bridge. You can see it all quite clearly on the satellite imagery from Google. And check this out: http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=DE
Tom
  by superman

The Ellendale-Milton line is now pretty much falling apart. A lot of the ties have rotted away, there are numerous large trees over the lines, and the lines themselves have been covered over in numerous places by debris, stones, etc to the point the lines themselves are basically slightly below ground level. I would assume it's been abandoned for good as I haven't even seen them store a car in town like they used to for probably 2+ years now.
  by superman

Did the Milton spur ever run past Milton or did it always stop there?
  by The Tenth Legion

What's the latest news with the DCL? I'm looking forward to checking it out when I'm down in Delaware in July. Thanks.
  by Aardvark

There has been work done in Milton on the old row between Federal St and Chestnut st, and some cement work around the Federal St. crossing, but the crossing itself hasn't been removed. It probably has to do with the rail-trail. One of the B-units has been sitting on the Lewes line west of the Rt. 30 crossing for a while. I always thought it would be a good idea to connect the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, but an industrial park outside of town might be good for rail service as well. Only time will tell.
  by The Tenth Legion

I'm looking forward to checking things out in Lewes when I'm down there on vacation in July. Question: Is there a spur that enters further into the grounds of the SPI plant, or are cars only spotted at the end of the track next to the gate to the plant and Cape Henlopen State Park?
  by norfolksouthern89

Oh, interesting. :-D :-D :-D
  by superman

County Council has approved the industrial park... http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10586934

Looks like they may be getting some new customers on the line after all. Glad Ellendale & Milton have not officially requested anything from the state for turning it into a trail yet.
  by norfolksouthern89

superman wrote:County Council has approved the industrial park... http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10586934

Looks like they may be getting some new customers on the line after all. Glad Ellendale & Milton have not officially requested anything from the state for turning it into a trail yet.

Thanks for the link and I already hear it so I really very glad so hoping they business keeping runs and available in the service of plants but I want to know that what those kind of plants?

- David
  by The Tenth Legion

That's a nice collection of photos of DCL's T-6 making the run to Lewes with the HOKX tankcars. I saw the RS-18 they have switching SPI once after driving off the ferry. Driving out of the ferry terminal, I noticed a cloud of smoke and a headlight down the line, so I went left instead of right and there it was. Nice start to a week at the beach that started with a nice crossing of Delaware Bay.
  by norfolksouthern89

superman wrote:What!?!

Calm down guy... :(

I just ask one question about industrial park things at all.