• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Then why is it only being done after handing it off to C&D?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by CR7876

Because now is the time to do it. If you did it before October 2023 , customers would have been cut off.
  by RFRailFan

SA-31 Permission to occupy Church connecting track at 2:25pm
Lined and locked, permission to go west on Track 2 at 2:53pm
County Rd. MP 5.1 at 3:20pm
CSX 6201 7 cars (6 Centerbeams, 1 Box)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by CharlieL

CR7876 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:37 pm Because now is the time to do it. If you did it before October 2023 , customers would have been cut off.
Makes sense. C&D gets grant, rebuilds Freehold-Farmingdale. Bridge gets worked on, and Prestone, Builders General and Reed and Perrine still have service. Also means another reason to delay Wemrock Rd. Bridge.
  by AceMacSD

CharlieL wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm
CR7876 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:37 pm Because now is the time to do it. If you did it before October 2023 , customers would have been cut off.
Makes sense. C&D gets grant, rebuilds Freehold-Farmingdale. Bridge gets worked on, and Prestone, Builders General and Reed and Perrine still have service. Also means another reason to delay Wemrock Rd. Bridge.
BINGO!

Wemrock's got other issues that'll be hashed out before the work is due to begin. We hope.
  by AceMacSD

PennRail42 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:36 am Wemrock Road is getting repaired/replaced? Thought it was all good to go after the truck strike and reset.
Wemrock'll be replaced. Some technicalities to get through first but it'll get done. It's been on CR's agenda for sometime. Bridge's still structurally sound after the truck strike. Happens all the time and we'll make due in the meantime.
  by Bracdude181

North through Farmingdale 12:14 PM

Picked up three empties.

by Bracdude181

Red Bank at 1:25.

Nearly every crossing between Red Bank and Earle has stopped working. Police blocked road at Pinebrook.

Lakewood tried to form a passenger train company back in 2014 and it didn't work. I'll talk more about that later.

by Bracdude181

OK, the passenger train story.

At some point in 2014 (September?) A group of investors from Lakewood approached NJT and Conrail about purchasing the Southern Secondary. They would assume all operations and form a commuter train service. I guess the plan was to offload at Red Bank and the passengers take NJT from there.

From what I've heard, Conrail was on board but NJT was not and I'm not entirely certain as to why.

Interesting to know Lakewood still wants their own passenger train. I've asked around and people do seem tired of having to rely on busses to get up north. Much has changed since 2014 though and I'm not sure how they'd go about this if they wanna try again.

by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:37 pm Nearly every crossing between Red Bank and Earle has stopped working. Police blocked road at Pinebrook.
Those tracks have not been traversed in months now, likely they rusted in quite a bit of crucial spots for the crossing to work, and rust is a terrible conductor of electricity.
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:31 pm From what I've heard, Conrail was on board but NJT was not and I'm not entirely certain as to why.
Likely a combination of the following:
  • NJT not wanting competition in the NJ rail commuter market
  • Massive liability having a different commuter rail entity operate on tracks owned by NJT
  • Likely some sort of law requiring private rail entities operating on public rail entity tracks needing to not be new companies or something weird like that
  • I can't imagine that the Lakewood-ran rail company would be unionized, and a non-union private commuter rail entity running on unionized public rail NJT's tracks would probably cause a BIG labor dispute
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:31 pm Interesting to know Lakewood still wants their own passenger train. I've asked around and people do seem tired of having to rely on busses to get up north. Much has changed since 2014 though and I'm not sure how they'd go about this if they wanna try again.
NJT will have to have some sort of leverage in whatever they do, based on the above list.