• Decision made to replace the Arrows

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

When was the last time NJT copied or borrowed a design from another RR's rolling stock? hahahaha

The closest and most recent thing I can think of would be the AEM7s from MARC which morphed into the ALP44s that replaced the E60s in the late 80s, and before that the F40s.....???
  by Silverliner II

Jtgshu wrote:When was the last time NJT copied or borrowed a design from another RR's rolling stock? hahahaha

The closest and most recent thing I can think of would be the AEM7s from MARC which morphed into the ALP44s that replaced the E60s in the late 80s, and before that the F40s.....???
The Arrow III's themselves, cousin to the Silverliner IV (which is younger brother of the Arrow II)... oh, wait, that all pre-dated NJT by a wee bit....
  by Jtgshu

Silverliner II wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:When was the last time NJT copied or borrowed a design from another RR's rolling stock? hahahaha

The Arrow III's themselves, cousin to the Silverliner IV (which is younger brother of the Arrow II)... oh, wait, that all pre-dated NJT by a wee bit....
Indeed, they are older than NJT itself, so thats why I didn't include them, but NJDOT did have a say in the equipment and purse strings and operations at the time, so I guess that could kinda count....
  by Nasadowsk

The ALP-46 is basically an Americanized version of DB's class 101....
  by R36 Combine Coach

NJT needs to stop with the custom orders and start thinking on off-the-shelf models.
  by Jtgshu

Nasadowsk wrote:The ALP-46 is basically an Americanized version of DB's class 101....
Very true, but I meant a US railroad :)

If NJT didn't have specific needs and requirements and restrictions, maybe they could go with more off the shelf products, but last I checked, no other RR's bi-levels fit through the North River tunnels, and not too many RR's in the US run electric locos, and even fewer have the use for a dual mode loco....

The Comets went through 4 generations (not including the Comet 5 - they are a bastardized distant relative of the P-S cars (Comet 1s) on NJT, thats a pretty good run. Now, how long they are going to keep going is another story.....
  by ApproachMedium

Jtgshu wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:The ALP-46 is basically an Americanized version of DB's class 101....
Very true, but I meant a US railroad :)

If NJT didn't have specific needs and requirements and restrictions, maybe they could go with more off the shelf products, but last I checked, no other RR's bi-levels fit through the North River tunnels, and not too many RR's in the US run electric locos, and even fewer have the use for a dual mode loco....

The Comets went through 4 generations (not including the Comet 5 - they are a bastardized distant relative of the P-S cars (Comet 1s) on NJT, thats a pretty good run. Now, how long they are going to keep going is another story.....

Keep in mind those Pullman car designs were even before the Comet 1 cars. The LIRR had sorta similar pullman built cars no? Which all evolved in aluminum from older steel car designs. The "comet" car is a bit older than many of us may think!
  by CNJGeep

I'm not sure about LIRR, though I believe the zip cars (MP72s & 75s) were Pullmans. If I recall correctly, MBTA had a carbon copy of the Comet I.
  by ns3010

CNJGeep wrote:If I recall correctly, MBTA had a carbon copy of the Comet I.
The MBTA BTC/CTC-1's were built by Pullman (IIRC, in the late 70's) and are a derivative of the Comet I. The Comet II's are an almost exact copy of these cars, only built by Bombardier.
  by mtuandrew

ApproachMedium and R36: yes, the single-level South Shore cars. The SMART DMUs will have the same body shape, judging from proposal drawings, so there ought to be no problems offering it to another company. And yes, the 25 Hz AC capacity was deleted from the M8s for weight reasons. Perhaps the deletion of 750 vdc capacity (unnecessary to NJT) would allow it to be offered again.

Also, I posted this as a joke, but I'd be unsurprised to see Bombardier offer something like this:
  by Silverliner II

Nice concept! :)
  by ACeInTheHole

That design of yours actually looks pretty good. Would be interesting to see if it actually turns up, let alone has enough power to get out of its own way.