• David Shepherd RIP

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by johnthefireman

On a week when we are saddened by the loss of our own forum member Philip Martin, there is also the sad news that David Shepherd has died. David was a railway preservationist whose interest spanned two continents, Europe and Africa. He owned a number of steam locos in South Africa, Zambia and UK, and is renowned as a railway artist. Later in life his main focus switched to wildlife conservation, and his art reflected the shift. I had the priviliege of meeting David in South Africa a few years ago when we operated his South African 15F locomotive for him in Ficksburg. I was firing the loco with David riding on the footplate and thoroughly enjoying himself. I recall his words about his shift of focus from steam engines to wildlife - "you can always build a new steam engine, but once tigers have become extinct you can't replace them" (paraphrased from memory). RIP.

Renowned artist, conservationist and railway enthusiast dies at the age of 86
  by David Benton

Thanks John.
I have made this a sticky announcement, along with Phillips , though I don't believe David was a member of this forum.
I think its the least we can do to honour those that have passed.
RIP.
  by johnthefireman

I've just found this photo of David Shepherd in South Africa on his 15F locomotive no 3052 Avril, taken in Ficksburg, probably in 2006, when we operated his loco for him. He's in the centre, I'm standing behind him to the left of the photo, and driver Cliff Petzer is leaning on the window. Cliffie has more than 50 years on the footplate, probably one of the most experienced steam drivers in the Southern Hemisphere, if not the world.
  by David Benton

Thanks John.
I think one of New Zealand's longest serving drivers was Russell Glendinning, who also died this year. I'm not sure when he last drove, i do know he was certifying Drivers up until recently. If it was this year, that would make it 48 years .
Unfortunately, over the last few years, his much loved Kingston flyer has been under a cloud of dispute, and faces an uncertain future.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1702/S ... -flyer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by johnthefireman

Thanks for sharing that piece on Russell. RIP. Those old drivers were something special!
  by johnthefireman

Memorial service for David Shepherd announced
The North Norfolk Railway has announced the date for the Memorial Service which they will host in honour of David Shepherd. This Service will take place on Friday the 2nd of March at 2 pm. Everyone is welcomed to join the Memorial Service.
  by johnthefireman

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned David's book, A Brush with Steam, published in 1983.

I wrote elsewhere, "A very interesting personal reflection, covering a seminal period in the UK heritage railway movement. Full of amusing anecdotes and some of the insight which probably contributed to his talent as an artist."
  by David Benton

As with Phillips thread , a year has passed. Let me know if you think these posts should remain "Sticky"(at the top ).
  by johnthefireman

Thanks, David. I have no strong feelings either way. I think it was good to have it as a sticky thread for a while, but it doesn't have to be for ever.