• Danvers CAI plant involved in explosion - rail customer?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Sir Ray

I guess a bit morbid to ask seeing as to the destruction (100 homes?) that occurred, and so I apologize, but I was wondering if the CAI plant which exploded yesterday was a rail customer?

by highrail

Negative. The old siding was across the street and has been out of service for many years. There used to be LNG deliveries to this area by rail. The entire line through Danvers has been out of service for several years.

Steve

by doublebell

At one time, the siding to Eastern Propane crossed the street into a fuel company that is now the boat yard.

John (the guy with the white car with the wing on back)

by bigbronco85

Yes, the siding still has some visible rail near some tanks on the western side of Water street, and it used to go across there. It may have served that building CAI was in at one point, the building was pretty close by. There is an abandoned plumbing supply company there too that may have been leveled in the blast.

I was shocked when I saw what happened, my friend Mike lived on Bates St. until last year and I used to park behind his house all the time for work. His backyard was 20 feet away from the back of the building that blew up. It's falling down now!