• D&H 35964 caboose moving to Carbondale, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Sent to me this morning:
Sir,

The Valley Land Corporation owns a c.1925 Delaware & Hudson Wooden, End Cupola, Caboose (D&H #35964). This well preserved caboose has for the past 34 years been the focal point of an atrium inside a former Holiday Inn Hotel. The hotel is in the process of being demolished and we need to find a new home for this caboose to keep it off the scrap pile. Please provide my contact information to anyone who might be interested in acquiring this fine piece of RR history. Pictures will be e-mailed upon request.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Ed Finley
General Manager
The Valley Land Corporation
220 Holiday Drive, Ste 27
White River Junction , VT 05001
PH 802-295-3358
This caboose has been indoors for the last 30 years, has two weeks until it meets the wrecking ball. Biggest expense will be trucking it out. Please direct your inquiries to Mr. Finley.

-otto-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Noel Weaver

It is a dam shame that an item as well preserved as this one is has to go with only a two week warning.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Two organizations that might help are the Canadian Pacific or the United Transportation Union.
Noel Weaver
  by bcmrrstation

Perhaps the Caboose Village group in Tilton NH or the Hobo RR in Lincoln NH could help.
bcmrrstation
  by RussNelson

pablo wrote:Am I reading correctly that anyone can have this if they can move it?
That was my first idea, but I read it again and it looks like they'd like to sell it to someone who will move it within two weeks. But I'm thinking that they can't be expecting much of a price given the tight time constraints. I mean, that's barely enough time to set up a move, much less negotiate a purchase.
  by Mark R.

I contacted a buddy of mine in NH yesterday who in turn contacted a friend of his who owns some lowboy trailers and has experience in moving cabooses .... he's going up there to check it out.

I guess he's not interested in it himself personally, but realizes what it is and just wants to get it out of there before it's destroyed. This will buy the much required time to find a proper owner for it.

Got my fingers crossed he'll be able to get it out of there in time.

Mark.
  by Otto Vondrak

My understanding is that they'd rather not see the caboose destroyed, but they don't want it to linger too long as it looks like it is preventing demolition of the hotel around it. In other words, they want to have a serious proposal in writing within two weeks so they know the caboose will be leaving the property... Mr. Finley's contact information is listed in the original post, I suggest contacting him for details.

-otto-
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Is it in VT? or NY?
  by DutchRailnut

220 Holiday Drive, Ste 27
White River Junction , VT 05001
its in VT.
  by Otto Vondrak

The caboose is "going home" for static display.
Dear Friends,

I want to thank all of you for the interest you have shown in preserving this piece of our railroad history. The time and effort you put in to your proposals and the courtesy you showed me during our brief contacts is truly appreciated. My employers have decided to pass ownership of the Caboose to the Carbondale Historical Society and Museum of Carbondale, PA. As you probably know Carbondale was the original home of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company which was the founding entity behind the creation of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. So in that sense, the Caboose is going home.

Respectfully,

Ed Finley
General Manager
http://www.carbondalehistorical.org/
  by charlie6017

Excellent! Kudos to the Carbondale Historical Society and Museum of Carbondale! I am glad there is a home for her.......Charlie
  by toolmaker

I look forward to seeing the caboose in its new home. There is another D&H caboose in the Carbondale area stored alone on a siding, behind a chain link fence.
  by 161pw165

Great to see a piece of D&H history saved and not lost to reconstruction. Kudos!!!
  by SemperFidelis

That other caboose, referred to as being stored in Carbondale, is actually on a siding in Maybrook. It is visible from Meredith Street and looks to be in rough shape. I hope the caboose they bring up is placed somewhere safe so it doesn't become a target.