• Cynwyd PM runs suspended from 12/21 to 12/23

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by JeffersonLeeEng

Just saw this service notice on the main SEPTA website...
Cynwyd: Buses to replace all PM trains (starting w/train #1081) operating btwn Overbrook to Cynwyd for the remainder of the week. Board any local Paoli train to Overbrook.
There doesn't appear to be any official reasoning as I can see...

Edit: A cursory glance of the @septa_social twitter feed seems to indicate "manpower issues". I wonder if certain staff/crew are using up remaining mandatory PTO for the year.
  by NorthPennLimited

I guess the Cynwyd folks don't have as much political clout as we once thought.

During the summer, the line was shut down to Cynwyd for the Silverliner 5 equipment shortage.

Now SEPTA has equipment, and nobody to operate the trains. (or they are stealing the crews from the Cynwyd Dinkys to run bigger, more profitable, peak hour trains)

These people in the Cynwyd Line should be used to it by now. It's obvious there isn't much priority on a line that can't fill a dozen 1-car daily trains.

Monday night was a mess. They cancelled a half dozen trains during PM rush hour.
  by roadmaster

This was the first line that I regularly commuted on. It was always a low priority line. Even in the PRR days, there wasn't much more service then today. From all the times I've rode this line, I do not recall ever having to sit next to anyone. I still have family in the LM area, and the non-official hear-say gossip rumor is that there were basically four highly influential daily riders that kept the line in service. They are all retired now, do not depend on it, but one or two will still stand up and fight for the line if needed. Again, take this with a gran of salt; it was the answer I got when asked, no way to fact check/verify/confirm.

If SEPTA was an actual person, they would have nothing to stand on as they are expert shots when aiming for their own foot. There are many things septa does that I do not agree with and very critical of, but some of these things I can understand why or even allocate some of the blame to another organization. But this whole labor shortage issue is absolutely 100% inexcusable and another example of habitual incompetence that plagues this org.

NorthPennLimited wrote:I guess the Cynwyd folks don't have as much political clout as we once thought.

During the summer, the line was shut down to Cynwyd for the Silverliner 5 equipment shortage.

Now SEPTA has equipment, and nobody to operate the trains. (or they are stealing the crews from the Cynwyd Dinkys to run bigger, more profitable, peak hour trains)

These people in the Cynwyd Line should be used to it by now. It's obvious there isn't much priority on a line that can't fill a dozen 1-car daily trains.

Monday night was a mess. They cancelled a half dozen trains during PM rush hour.