• Cynwyd branch during car shortage

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by roadmaster

Yes I am aware septa has run mfl and bsl trains during extended outages. I honestly do not know 100% why they do this let alone perform this operation meticulously -very odd behavior for an organization known for its "sloppiness"- and I can't imagine the underground sections experiencing severe rusting. Even so, my guess would be that it has not much to do with actual rust. I can only think of two reasons justifying this meticulous operation.

One would be during a winter storm event - it is obvious why they do this and rust is not it. Two, if an event shuts down service like a labor strike, I would assume non-union managers will run trains once or twice a day because of the mechanical nature of the signal system and that prolonged inactivity can cause issues with a three rail traction system.

For a railroad line like the cynwyd, there is no reason for concern. I do agree it is prudent to send a train down once in a while, but the world will not end if it is ignored. Lines that have been out of service for years can be activated with little effort, I've done it multiple times - it's no big deal. Lines that contain signals and protected crossings do not require much effort either. In either case, rust is not a major concern for a line that has not seen service for a long time especially less then two months. I'm also willing to bet that the western section of the media line has not become rust in the wind either.

The top items on the "Do Before Running a Train Down a Rusty Road Check List" is ensuring nothing washed away, check the integrity of the structures if any, points are clear, and confirm that the neighbors did not use the ROW as a dump and that some trees didn't use the tracks as their final resting place. When the line is confirmed to be clear, and in good standing, the next step does not entail a large labor force with brite boys and sandpaper polishing the system ala Lionel Lines- one train running restricted is all that is usually needed, if that. I'm sure even sloppy septa could figure it out and have the line running when needed with minimal effort compared to running subway trains multiple times daily for those systems. I am fortunate that the lines I work do not have PTC so I do not have a clue if this system is affected by prolonged outages. My assumption would be no unless the ROW has any mechanical components. I'll let you know the protocol for the PTC systems after I take the class.
  by South Jersey Budd

The Cynwyd line is ABS 261 with cab signals. It was converted a few years ago.

Even though the line is not seeing passenger service, I believe under the CFR, track/switch/bridge inspections continue under Federally required increments unless the line is re-classed as excepted track. Passenger trains are not permitted to run over excepted track but even excepted track has Federal inspection intervals. I'm sure a few round trips would take care of any rusty rail condition.

I am surprised that SEPTA hasn't been able to free up 2 cars to operate this line though. Ridership on the line was almost at the point of needing a second car added to some trains before this mess ensued.
  by ExCon90

jackintosh11 wrote:I believe fox chase-bryn Mawr was the R4, and CHW-Elwyn/West Chester was the R3 in the original plan. West Trenton-Airport was the R1.
That's right--I was trying to remember the pairings, and Fox Chase would have been a better match for Bryn Mawr than for Elwyn.
  by roadmaster

What is the class of track for the cynwyd line? Excepted track has the same inspection frequency as classes 1,2, and 3. Dedicated passenger lines do not need to be inspected when no service is being ran, but as I already mentioned, an inspection must be conducted prior to running. If septa clearly stated that the line will be oos from xx/xx/xxxx to zz/zz/zzzz, they do not need to send someone out per the fra frequency.
Last edited by roadmaster on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jeff Smith

Admin Note: at the request of members, the topic has been scrubbed for rust so that discussion may continue. :wink:

I'm only half-kidding: let's move on without the hyperbole'. We appreciate your patience.
  by Ken S.

Does SEPTA have work equipment in Powelton Yard that can be used to polish the rails and more importantly make sure that crew qualifications on the branch don't expire if any are set to expire during this outage?
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I was under the impression that a revised Cynwyd schedule using just one car - and crew -
would be sufficient to keep service to Cynwyd operating...

More then likely it is the manpower issue - SEPTA can not spare any T&E crews especially
with engineers in short supply and needed elsewhere to operate much busier trains...

MACTRAXX
  by ExCon90

Also, a further problem with Cynwyd is that under present conditions elsewhere on the system there are standing passengers on trains and standing passengers on platforms who couldn't get on a train, and it would be hard to justify hauling empty seats back and forth to Cynwyd, even on just one car. This is a line that in normal times carries a streetcar load of passengers maybe a dozen times a day. It can be (and has been) argued that better frequency would generate more passengers, but we're talking three stations here. (Of course, after October 31 the ridership potential may be different--let's hope not.)
  by roadmaster

Ken S. wrote:Does SEPTA have work equipment in Powelton Yard that can be used to polish the rails and more importantly make sure that crew qualifications on the branch don't expire if any are set to expire during this outage?

Picture taken on Saturday 9/3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by bikentransit

Looks like pilot cars have been visiting the line