• Current status of locomotives

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by num1hendrickfan

tj48 wrote:All I asked was IF, the NY&A wanted to bring in any additional power (GP40-2/slug set, SD40-2, C40-8, B40-8, Genset whatever) other than say, more used LIRR MP15AC's, does the LIRR have final say over what can be used by the NY&A?
I doubt they'd have any say in the matter, NY&A is a private company. Would stand to reason if they felt a need for more power, they would certainly add an engine or two to the roster. Six axles or four axles, they'll work just fine on Long Island tracks.

I have to commend them for doing an impressive job with what they have, and they do it well too ( saw 268 finally with the new paint job, last Friday through Mineola ).
  by Jayjay1213

Actually the LIRR does have a say in it. For any engine to leave the derails and enter upon LIRR trackage, it has to be apporved by the LIRR first. When the L&I units, and GP10 came a few years ago, they were stuck within the derails until the LIRR gave them the stamp of approval. The NYA was going to bring a CP SD40-2 out for the rail festival in Riverhead a few years back, and again it has to have the LIRR approval, I believe they finally approved it, but it took awhile, they are not a fan of 6 axle units...

Re:

by railfan365

jayrmli wrote:New engine is kind of pushing it. How about old engine with different trucks.

Jay
The approach, very generally speaking, is not new. Much the way that many of the 3 Stooges shorts from 1952 on had anywhere from 50 - 90% recycled footage so that "new" movies could be made on the cheap.
  by deandremouse

break the seals wrote:
deandremouse wrote:
tj48 wrote:A question asked out of curiosity... With the Brookhaven and the Calverton operations in the NY & A's future, if the NY & A wanted to bring in additional power for these would the NY & A need the blessings of the LIRR before they could bring in any new units such as say a GP40-2/slug set or SD40-2's.
NY&As too broke to get "new power", can barley maintain what they have.( from a shop guy my friend knows)
I think a topic was brought up on 6 axle pwr not being allowed on the LIRR im not sure..
How would you know? You're just a kid who stands at Queens Villiage/Bellrose moving his arm up and down at trains to try an get em to blow their horns as if they were trucks.
that was a few years ago I havent railfanned the LIRR since then ...

anyways on topic
I really dont know how it is now .its just from stuff I hear from people i know on the railroad/or friends of them.
Ive heard alot i dont want to post because some of them are ridiculous rumors...
or half true about power coming in from LIRC..
Hey I love what the NY&A is doing and I hope they continue to service freight onto LI no matter what power they have.
  by mirrodie

Question about the Sw1001s. Do they ever leave the yard? I saw recently they may be repainted on that lirr thermomods site.

how many 1001s are still working for NYAR?
  by SwingMan

There are 3 NYAR SW1001s, all ex LI. They are used on non-ASC (Automatic Speed Control) equiped branches, or the Bushwick and Bay Ridge branches. They also run down the Lower Montauk and Montauk Cutoff to service LIC freight yard next to the MTA Arch Street Yard. They ade a few rare trips out east testing ASC, but they haven't gone out in years.

NYAR also acquired two SW1200s from the Louisville and Indiana Railroad (A brother company of NYAR). One pretty much broke down after a trip to Riverhead, and was stripped for parts. The other works with the SW1001s/MP15s.
  by Ðauntless

Both 1200s are done. One went home to Indiana and the other is OOS for good.
  by SwingMan

Ðauntless wrote:Both 1200s are done. One went home to Indiana and the other is OOS for good.

I guess taking it higher than 30mph was like driving into a wall.
  by railfan365

That last post makes those old locomotives sound like variants on Jack Benny's old car - the Maxwell represented on radio by coughing, sputtering, and rattling noises.
  by Teutobergerwald

Might the LIRR part with another SW-1001 or a pair of MP-15ac's for use out east at the Brookhaven and Calverton spurs when they become operational and a need is found to have more power available?
  by SwingMan

Teutobergerwald wrote:Might the LIRR part with another SW-1001 or a pair of MP-15ac's for use out east at the Brookhaven and Calverton spurs when they become operational and a need is found to have more power available?
LIRR's already strapped of switcher power..more than likely we'll see some new power on LI.
  by mirrodie

how many sw1001s are still with the LIRR?

And MP15s with them?
  by SwingMan

mirrodie wrote:how many sw1001s are still with the LIRR?

And MP15s with them?
4 SW1001s, 100-102-103-104-107; 102 and 104 were the Harold Protects, and before that it was 101 and 105. Stripped of it a long time ago. Any reason why they swapped the two?

17 MP15ACs left usable for the LIRR, 150-152-153?-154-157-158-160-161-163-164-165?-166-167-168-170-171-172
Haven't seen the 153 for a while; 162-169 were stripped and are just piles of junk now; 165 was the one vandalized after ripping up the third rail in Merrick. Is it back in service yet?

Those things are valuable, as last night when the MU broke on Montauk 2 in Rockville Centre, guess what was caled from Holban, a mighty MP15AC!

NYAR has the rest of what I haven't shown, plus the 4 GP38-2s,261-268-270-271; 2 heap of junk (OOS) SW1200s from the Louisville and Indiana, 9321-9373. 9373 lived a bit longer than her sister engine, but an engine can only steal parts for a while.
NYAR also acquired GP10s in 1997, 200-201-202.
One is still on LI(201,Not powered, not on wheels, just a shell in a scrapyard which they haven't scrapped in 6 YEARS), one was painted in forest green (202) and shipped away (Go figure), and I'm not certain what the fate (Although not likely good) of the third locomotive. Who knows what LI is going to get as their next "Frieght locomotive".
  by Shavano

NYAR never had a GP10 200. 201 and 202 were brought to Yard A prior to April of 1997, one month before startup.
  by Ðauntless

Again, there is only 1 1200 left. The other went home to L&I in running condition.