• CSX train derails at Quantico closing tracks

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

A CSX coal train has derailed near Quantico. At this time both tracks are closed by the Quantico Fire Department.

We are working with CSX. Our preliminary plans are to run trains to Rippon. Passengers traveling south of Rippon will board buses at Franconia/Springfield. Once we finalize plans, we'll let you know.
  by strench707

Also, there is a vehicle on the tracks in Crystal City. Now how the hell does that happen in CC where the roads are pretty far off the tracks? They are single tracking the area currently.

Davis
  by the-rail-life

That was false information. It was a tree and other storm debris, but they didn't find that out for quite awhile. They were held up north of Crystal City for almost an hour. Must have been car-sized and some engineer saw it a long ways off. That's what I'm thinking anyways. But yeah, the same question went through my mind: a car? At Crystal City?? :-)

Luckily some people in my building go south and they dropped me off at the train station. There was no way I was going to rely on buses. That was a terrible series of storms. Power out, trees down on the interstate, crashes...I wonder if Metro had power. And I've already got plans to hitch a ride in tomorrow, too. Not taking any chances!