• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by C2629

charlie6017 wrote:
MC6853 wrote:So how long will the 376 signal bridge remain standing? I hear it got left up for fear of taking out the power line running to the north of it...
Same question about automatic signal at 384 just west of Savage Rd? Here's a photo I took on Veterans Day.

**Kinda funny, but I noticed every time a westbound train hit the circuit lighting-up the signal at 384, the crossing-signals
activated and lowered the gates at Savage Rd. It took a couple minutes for the trains to get there, as they were coming off
the "Shore"**

Charlie

The 384 signals have not been replaced yet so until they are they should stay where they are.

by MC6853

New signal masts are present near Savage Road/Baker Street in Churchville; this will surely become INT 385... I'm guessing they plan to eliminate a signal between 382 and 393? My guess would be new signals at 385, another new one at 387 or 388 near the Route 33 bridge east of Bergen, and another new one at 390 or 391 by Jerico Road? Yes, no, maybe so?
  by FarmallBob

MC6853 wrote:New signal masts are present near Savage Road/Baker Street in Churchville; this will surely become INT 385...
Here's a look at the new INT 385 signals waiting to be cut over (view is looking west toward Churchville). Location is about 3/4 mile west of the existing auto 384 signal bridge.

...FB
  by FarmallBob

MC6853 wrote:New signal masts are present near Savage Road/Baker Street in Churchville; this will surely become INT 385... I'm guessing they plan to eliminate a signal between 382 and 393? My guess would be new signals at 385, another new one at 387 or 388 near the Route 33 bridge east of Bergen, and another new one at 390 or 391 by Jerico Road? Yes, no, maybe so?
Looks like you are right about new intermediate signals going in near MP 388. New signal mast bases are now in place a couple hundred yards west of MP 388.

In this view looking east, the base for the new track 1 signal is the orange-painted object sticking out of the ballast. That's the NY 33 (Buffalo Rd) overpass is in the background.

...FB
  by MP366

Hadn't seen any updates on this project...thought I'd wake the topic back up again. Any installation updates beyond what looks like new locations at 384/385 and 386/388?
  by nick_anshant

MP366 wrote:Hadn't seen any updates on this project...thought I'd wake the topic back up again. Any installation updates beyond what looks like new locations at 384/385 and 386/388?
It's looking like it may be a slow year for PTC cutovers on the Albany Division. CP W on the St. Lawrence is planned for sometime in late February or early January. Syracuse Terminal (CP 283 to INT 294) is planned for Memorial Day Weekend. There may only be one Rochester cutover moving up to, and including, INT 395. If we get a second Rochester cutover I believe it may go out past CP 410 but I'm not positive on that.

Nick
  by MC6853

Progress west of Rochester, observed on 03/19/2015...

--INT 385 signals (along Savage Road roughly 3/4 mile west of existing auto 384 bridge) are fully installed and turned perpendicular to the tracks, as they have been for some time now...

--INT 388 signals (near the green Route 33 truss bridge between Churchville and Bergen) have the bases and signal control box installed, but no sign of any further work (no masts are visible at this site yet)...

--INT 390 signals (just to the west of Jerico Road, roughly at mile 390.9); both masts are currently laying on the ground near the installation site; both bases have been put into the ground, and the new control box is present as well...

--CP-393 signals (same as it ever was); EAS and WAS signal masts for Track 1 ONLY have been fully installed and turned 90 degrees from the tracks; it is presumed the bases for Track 2 are installed and the masts are laying on the ground nearby, but without trespassing I can't confirm this...

--INT 395 signals (same as it ever was); both masts are currently laying on the ground near the installation site; was unable to see if the bases or new control box have been installed, but if the masts are already there it's probably a worthy assumption...

So it seems they're moving right along with this; new signals have gotten as far as South Byron... Has any official cutover date been announced for 384-393?
  by Conrail6467

The bridge at QC 376.5 (Pixley Rd) is still standing but the bridge itself is no longer functional.
  by MC6853

Latest field update, as of the 1st of April, has new signal masts standing and turned 90 degrees at 385, 388, 390, and three of the four at 393... Also, there was work happening at 395, and new masts are laying on the ground at 398 (right at the old School Road crossing)... Progress is swift!
  by terms-d

MC6853 wrote:Latest field update, as of the 1st of April, has new signal masts standing and turned 90 degrees at 385, 388, 390, and three of the four at 393... Also, there was work happening at 395, and new masts are laying on the ground at 398 (right at the old School Road crossing)... Progress is swift!
:(
  by C2629

Looking at the new 388 signal masts from Buffalo Rd. it appears there is only one signal head on each mast. Is the plan to only have a signal for one direction at this location ?
  by nick_anshant

C2629 wrote:Looking at the new 388 signal masts from Buffalo Rd. it appears there is only one signal head on each mast. Is the plan to only have a signal for one direction at this location ?
There will be one signal head in each direction on each track at the new 388 intermediate signals.

Nick
  by nick_anshant

C2629 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Is there any "planned" date for the cut over west of CP 382 ?
July or August, subject to change.

Nick
  by MC6853

After taking a recent trip out west to Erie, PA and into Ohio, I have a question... How come there is a dedicated signal replacement project from Albany to Buffalo, but west of Buffalo there really isn't? In my travels that way earlier this month I found a number of new signals in place, but plenty of the older Type G lights were still in place too... Some places, such as CP-97 in Fairview, PA, have a mixture of new and old signals standing... Also, the new signals out that way don't seem to be following typical new CSX/SBD practice; the "new" auto 94 signals east of Fairview, for example, are labeled 941E and 942E per CR practice, not 948-1 and 948-2 or whatever the CSX designation would be... Also worth noting is the old gantry signals are still standing at auto 94, not having been lifted out with cranes and cut to pieces like the signal bridges have been...

My question is basically why is there not a dedicated signal replacement project out there on the old LS&MS main? Is there one planned, or will the signals out that way just keep being randomly replaced until they're all gone?