• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railjunkie

As far as I know there are no planned outages for that weekend. As for how trains are handled take a look at 64,288, on the 10th
  by nick_anshant

New signals in service from CP 175 to, but not including, CP 203 at 17:10 hours on 3/11/2013.

Nick
  by roadster

This one went alot smoother than the CP334/335 a couple weeks ago. Only a few recrews, and a couple auto racks and ethanol trains got held for a couple days.
  by nick_anshant

roadster wrote:This one went alot smoother than the CP334/335 a couple weeks ago. Only a few recrews, and a couple auto racks and ethanol trains got held for a couple days.
Someone pulled a draw bar in or near the suspension limits late Sunday night or early Monday morning which caused a number of trains to be late and delayed on Monday morning.

When we gave the signals back Monday evening they ran about 7 trains in an hour or so. They were really starting to stack up.

Nick
  by MP366

nick_anshant wrote:
roadster wrote:This one went alot smoother than the CP334/335 a couple weeks ago. Only a few recrews, and a couple auto racks and ethanol trains got held for a couple days.
Someone pulled a draw bar in or near the suspension limits late Sunday night or early Monday morning which caused a number of trains to be late and delayed on Monday morning.

When we gave the signals back Monday evening they ran about 7 trains in an hour or so. They were really starting to stack up.

Nick

That and Q264 and Q227 tied up lines west for about an hour and a half doing a locomotive swap, so a few of the eastbounds got bunched up as well...
  by nick_anshant

That cantilever looked like a spring board when the signalman was up there getting the lamp voltages. This is about the longest cantilever that will be installed.

Nick
  by TOMT7X

nick_anshant wrote:That cantilever looked like a spring board when the signalman was up there getting the lamp voltages. This is about the longest cantilever that will be installed.

Nick

I got a bad feeling on this one... you are correct it is indeed the longest canti.. but come serious windstorms (snow and hurricane) that thing is gonna snap the aluminum welds out of place..
  by MP366

nick_anshant wrote:That cantilever looked like a spring board when the signalman was up there getting the lamp voltages. This is about the longest cantilever that will be installed.

Nick
Can you give any insight as to the physical plan for the Auto 360 signal in Fairport? Years ago there was a signal for the Shore near there, so I have to guess that that there's space for dual masts along the main east of the current signal, but that would put it closer to the Turk Hill Rd. overpass, which may be a visual obstruction for westbounds. And while I'm thinking of it: cantilever at 367? Current bridge spans four tracks, but I suppose you could put a dwarf in on track 4 and reduce the size of any overhead structure...just curious. BTW, thanks again Nick for all you posts and patience, on behalf of the RRnet readers who have been able to follow the progress of this project through your updates.
  by charlie6017

MP366 wrote:BTW, thanks again Nick for all you posts and patience, on behalf of the RRnet readers who have been able to follow the progress of this project through your updates.
I'll definitely second that..........very much appreciated! :-)

Charlie
  by nick_anshant

TOMT7X wrote:I got a bad feeling on this one... you are correct it is indeed the longest canti.. but come serious windstorms (snow and hurricane) that thing is gonna snap the aluminum welds out of place..
You would need some serious wind to take one of those out. There is plenty of flex built in to withstand just about anything mother nature can throw at it.

MP366 wrote: Can you give any insight as to the physical plan for the Auto 360 signal in Fairport? Years ago there was a signal for the Shore near there, so I have to guess that that there's space for dual masts along the main east of the current signal, but that would put it closer to the Turk Hill Rd. overpass, which may be a visual obstruction for westbounds. And while I'm thinking of it: cantilever at 367? Current bridge spans four tracks, but I suppose you could put a dwarf in on track 4 and reduce the size of any overhead structure...just curious. BTW, thanks again Nick for all you posts and patience, on behalf of the RRnet readers who have been able to follow the progress of this project through your updates.
Intermediate 360 will not be replaced as a physical signal location. There will be a cut section repeater where the existing signal is now.

CP 367 WAS will be a cantilever between the existing bridge and the overpass. CP 367 EAS will be a bridge spanning all four tracks. The northern most track will not be signaled as it is a yard track. Typically we only install new dwarf signals where there is an existing dwarf signal and only when we have no other option.

I'm happy to help.

Nick
  by sd80mac

nick_anshant wrote:
TOMT7X wrote:I got a bad feeling on this one... you are correct it is indeed the longest canti.. but come serious windstorms (snow and hurricane) that thing is gonna snap the aluminum welds out of place..
You would need some serious wind to take one of those out. There is plenty of flex built in to withstand just about anything mother nature can throw at it.

Nick
He's right. there is nothing on that that would catch wind. For instance, we have many road signs that are blown down because the sign caught the wind and bolts, which are designed to break off first before weld or structures do, cant handle the stress and will be knocked over. We have overhead structures, with one or two end supporting, came down because of bad welding, bolts or product. not because of the weather.

Just think of this... it takes gust of winds in 30-40 mph winds to take trees with leaves down more than bare trees... We had early snowstorm in buffalo and a lot of trees were down because they still have leaves which carry extra snow on them. and down they go...

and structures are suppose to be flexiable... if they were really stiff, they will snap a lot easier..
  by nick_anshant

nysw136 wrote:Any time frame when work around Syracuse Terminal area will occur? Especially in the CP 283-286 area?
Construction should be starting in that area no earlier than September or October of this year.

NIck