• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ScotCP356

Haven't been out see train this year but by what I'm hearing, CSXT is finally getting started with the new signals at Wayneport Road. I also heard they got the base in, so it would be interesting to see these new signals and right in front where my brother and I would take videos of CSX trains. Now how long would it take CSX to put up the new signals at Wayneport Rd? When the new signals be active? and When will the old NYC signals be "retired" or out of service? Also would CSX do anything with the railroad crossings at Wayneport Rd, Canandaigua Rd, and Quaker Rd while they are there doing the signals replacement? I thought I heard they are going to do something with the crossings when they get to do the signals. It would be interesting to see what will happen.
  by charlie6017

ScotCP356 wrote:Now how long would it take CSX to put up the new signals at Wayneport Rd? When the new signals be active? and When will the old NYC signals be "retired" or out of service?
Honestly, just go back and review past posts in this thread and you should be able to answer those questions or have an idea of when........

Charlie
  by FarmallBob

A couple more questions:

1 - Is the Berkshire Sub included in the signal replacement project? I noticed what look to be newer "Darth Vader" colorlights on the Alfred H Smith (Hudson River) bridge last week. However at CP 176 (Chatham) the tri-lights appear to have been in place for some time.

2 - What is the purpose of the auxiliary searchlight head with a "C" number plate positioned between the two tri-light heads on the home signals CP 176? (photos below). A quick online search suggests it is to convey rule 1280A "clear to next interlocking". But any further explanation I found was unclear. Can anyone clarify??

Thanks! ...FB

CP 176 looking east:

Eastbound home signal detail:
  by nick_anshant

The 'C' light or "Block Clear" light indicates to a train that the railroad is clear until the next interlocking. This is used in territory that has cab signals with no wayside signals at intermediate locations. It's primary function is to alert trains that either do not have cab signals or have faulty cab signals that they are clear until the next interlocking which is the next physical signal they would receive.

Nick

FarmallBob wrote:A couple more questions:

1 - Is the Berkshire Sub included in the signal replacement project? I noticed what look to be newer "Darth Vader" colorlights on the Alfred H Smith (Hudson River) bridge last week. However at CP 176 (Chatham) the tri-lights appear to have been in place for some time.

2 - What is the purpose of the auxiliary searchlight head with a "C" number plate positioned between the two tri-light heads on the home signals CP 176? (photos below). A quick online search suggests it is to convey rule 1280A "clear to next interlocking". But any further explanation I found was unclear. Can anyone clarify??

Thanks! ...FB

CP 176 looking east:

Eastbound home signal detail:
  by FarmallBob

nick_anshant wrote:The 'C' light or "Block Clear" light indicates to a train that the railroad is clear until the next interlocking. This is used in territory that has cab signals with no wayside signals at intermediate locations. It's primary function is to alert trains that either do not have cab signals or have faulty cab signals that they are clear until the next interlocking which is the next physical signal they would receive.

Nick
Thanks Nick! Makes sense since the next wayside signal is about 5 miles distant at CP 171, at the east end of the controlled siding.

Followup question: What aspect(s) does the 'C' light display. Steady lunar white or ???

....FB
  by nick_anshant

No problem.

The 'C' light will flash lunar white when the block is clear in conjunction with whatever aspect is displayed on the main signal heads. With the clear block light lit I think it's pretty safe to assume that the main signal will display Clear, Limited Clear, Medium Clear or Slow Clear. If the block is not clear to the next interlocking the signal will display the appropriate aspect (which could still be a Clear, LC, MC or SC) but the 'C' light will not be lit.

So, to answer your question, the 'C' light will either be flashing lunar white or dark.

Nick

FarmallBob wrote: Thanks Nick! Makes sense since the next wayside signal is about 5 miles distant at CP 171, at the east end of the controlled siding.

Followup question: What aspect(s) does the 'C' light display. Steady lunar white or ???

....FB
  by ScotCP356

While I was watching trains back in January @ MP356, I saw the base for the new signals. But it was closer to the crossing then it should be. I have the picture of one of the signals. I also got a video on YouTube of the new signals base and the trains I caught, Including K011 with BNSF & NS Power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFIIbjEEZU
  by roadster

The next signal suspension, new signal activation, and old signal deactivation has been set for Feb 17, from CP 323 Savannah, NY to CP 349 Pamyra, NY. So all signals between these locations (including Lyons CP 335 and CP 334) will be switched over to the new signals starting Sunday. Expect some delays East and West of these locations and tons of radio traffic with EC-1s being issued and cancelled as trains traverse this segment. Stay clear of tracks and workers, respect private RR property, and have fun.
  by nick_anshant

roadster wrote:The next signal suspension, new signal activation, and old signal deactivation has been set for Feb 17, from CP 323 Savannah, NY to CP 349 Pamyra, NY. So all signals between these locations (including Lyons CP 335 and CP 334) will be switched over to the new signals starting Sunday. Expect some delays East and West of these locations and tons of radio traffic with EC-1s being issued and cancelled as trains traverse this segment. Stay clear of tracks and workers, respect private RR property, and have fun.
New signals will only be in service from, but not including, CP 323 to, and including, CP 335. No new signals west of CP 335 will be in service after this cutover. We have to suspend between in-service interlockings which, in this case, are CP 323 and CP 349.

Signals should be back in service on Monday night.

Nick
  by ctclark1

First off, sorry for bringing up a really old query that had been made by someone...

I remember a question quite a ways back regarding why Auto 389 in Bergen (by the former Church St crossing) were Tri-lights with no remnants of a signal bridge in the area, I think I figured it out while I was reviewing old track charts for my research into something else... Originally the block that 389 occupies was instead controlled by the CP's for Bergen's controlled sidings (Conrail's CP38 & CP39 according to the 1978 track charts), so the bridges that would have been in the area were actually farther east of Rt 19 and closer to Townline Rd (Rt 262), somewhere between there and the old farm underpass just east of there.

Sorry, I know it was a super old question and I apologize if I'm just regurgitating information that everyone already knew but I remember the question being asked and don't remember seeing that as a possible answer, the running thought at the time that I remember seeing had to do with it being taken down when the Church Street crossing was removed.
  by TOMT7X

The rare 2 track signal bridge in Lyons is finally taken down.. Thanks to the local railfan, Zane Smith for braving in cold weather that there was a huge crane is already up, tied onto the old signal bridge and ready for removal. Farewell!

Dave
  by ctclark1

Maybe this has been asked before, but why only a 2-track bridge there? Making a guess based on just looking at those pictures am I right in guessing there was a second separate one over the other two tracks due to the separation of the tracks around the overpass supports there?