• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by jayrmli

Well...not double tracked. Looks like they're adding 3 more passing sidings and some other improvements.
  by K4Pacific

CSX Transportation plans to soon launch a major track capacity expansion project on its River Line between northern New Jersey and the Albany, N.Y., region, the Class I announced yesterday.

The $26 million project calls for constructing 18 miles of double track during the next two to three years, adding capacity on the Hudson River's west shore. Preliminary site work in Ravena-Coxsackie, Catskill and Haverstraw already is complete. Construction is scheduled to begin early this year.

The River Line was last expanded in 2005 and traffic has increased consistently since then, according to a press release. The latest project, and plans for additional River Line expansion in the future, will enable CSX to handle more trains and support the growth of crude oil moving by rail, as well as intermodal and automobile shipments, according to the Class I.

"Demand for crude oil, for example, in the New Jersey and Philadelphia area may be as much as five trains per day, or over 400,000 barrels, over the next couple of years," said CSX Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Oscar Munoz in a prepared statement.

Meanwhile, CSX continues to invest in terminals, clearance projects and other initiatives to prepare for near- and long-term growth in the Northeast. The projects complement other network capacity improvements, such as the National Gateway, which will clear a route for double-stack containers to travel from mid-Atlantic ports to the Midwest
  by Noel Weaver

In addition to the above which was also posted on the BLE website today, they are increasing the speed on the siding in Kingston from 10 MPH to 30 MPH effective in early February.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /130129945

Noel Weaver
  by AMK0123

Don't know if this has anything to do with the increase in speed for the siding in Kingston but I saw last week that there are new signals up with the heads facing to the side (not in service yet) at CP90. I assume there also up at CP87.
  by Ironman

AMK0123 wrote:Don't know if this has anything to do with the increase in speed for the siding in Kingston but I saw last week that there are new signals up with the heads facing to the side (not in service yet) at CP90. I assume there also up at CP87.
Yes to both.
  by Jeff Smith

More on the "West Shore" upgrades: Progressive Railroading
CSX to expand River Line capacity

CSX Transportation plans to soon launch a major track capacity expansion project on its River Line between northern New Jersey and the Albany, N.Y., region, the Class I announced yesterday.

The $26 million project calls for constructing 18 miles of double track during the next two to three years, adding capacity on the Hudson River's west shore. Preliminary site work in Ravena-Coxsackie, Catskill and Haverstraw already is complete. Construction is scheduled to begin early this year.

The River Line was last expanded in 2005 and traffic has increased consistently since then, according to a press release. The latest project, and plans for additional River Line expansion in the future, will enable CSX to handle more trains and support the growth of crude oil moving by rail, as well as intermodal and automobile shipments, according to the Class I.

"Demand for crude oil, for example, in the New Jersey and Philadelphia area may be as much as five trains per day, or over 400,000 barrels, over the next couple of years," said CSX Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Oscar Munoz in a prepared statement.
  by Noel Weaver

I got the following link from the BLE website today about the expansion. Naturally some politician in Rockland County is trying to stir up trouble for the railroad, that is nothing new in Northern New Jersey and that part of New York State. The hell with the taxes that the railroad overpays to these places just give the railroad as many problems as possible. Some of these places have been mad at the railroad since the passenger trains came off way back in the late 50's.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20130203/N ... e-Rockland

Noel Weaver
  by AMK0123

Just alittle update on the Kingston signal project. Looks like it started on Sunday and as of yesterday afternoon CSX crews had all of the old signals taken down and the new signals were all in position and crews were doing tests with the signal lights. I believe they should be done today, if not then very soon. Trains were delayed through the area with CSX running trains from CP80 through CP102 on the main track with an EC-1 from the dispatcher. Trains were then stopped at CP87 and CP92 to get permission through the foremans rule 89. Several trains were outlawed along the way. Some other bits of excitment came yesterday with a southbound K-688 with a pair of BNSF widecabs and a northbound K-409 with a rare SD70ACe leading.
  by Jeff Smith

More from Noel's linked article, concerning quiet zones:
On a related front, the county’s project to create quiet zones along 23 miles of the River Line is coming along. The initiative, known as the Railroad Crossing Safety and Quiet Zone Project, would require the installation of extra safety measures that make it difficult, if not impossible, for a vehicle to cross the tracks.

Federal regulations require trains to blow their horns for 15 to 20 seconds before entering a grade crossing to ensure safety. A train horn averages 96 to 110 decibels and can be disruptive at night. By making the crossings safer, the horn requirement can be lifted per federal rules.

In 2011, the county’s Department of Planning provided plans to CSX for work within the freight-hauler’s right of way for its review and acceptance. The plan was completed in April and is awaiting final approval from the state Department of Transportation.
  by AMK0123

Just a follow up... Was up in Kingston today and all of the new signals are up and running. There was a ballast regulator and several other pieces of MOW equipment working on the siding. There also seems to be some maintenance work going on up near Alsen from what I could hear on the scanner however I didn't have time to get up there. Before I left a southbound C712 left the yard with CSXT 2577, a flatcar and three coverd hoppers and CSXT 6123. The flatcar was loaded with new rail destined for the south end of the Haverstraw yard. The three other cars for Aluf plastics in Orangeburg. And if anyone is keeping track of the locals out of Kingston, the C711 headed north today for a stop near Alsen and then onto Selkirk with CSXT engines 2611 and 2718.
  by Phase Gap

Does anyone know the best way to get to CP 76?
  by mainetrain

Lewis Bogaty has put up some pics and info of the area. He comments, "CP 76, toward the bottom of the steep grade from Highland Landing to West Park, is not readily accessible -- unless, of course, you're on a train"
  by waldwickrailfan

Busy day on the River Line Saturday! I caught 20 trains between 630am and 630pm, then my friend caught another one at 7pm at CP5
Q003 (Spirit of Cincinatti)
Q156 (YN3b Gevo)
Q162 (YN3b GEVO)
Q438 (5 engines)
Q010 (4 engines)
K409 (ICE, DME, 2 CP)
Q439 (YN3b GEVO)
K532 (YN3b SD40-3)
Q008 (YN2 AC6000)
Q410 (SD70ACe, YN3b SD70MAC)
K684 (SD60)
Q434 (MBTA Coach)
K636 (2 YN2 C40-8W)
WS1 (NS)
Q418 (YN2 C40-8, YN3 SD40-2 and YN2 GP40-2)
Q417 (W. Thomas Rice Special)
Q409 (4 engines)
Q114 (2 GEVO's)
Q433 (2 SD50's)
Q702 (SD70MAC and SD40-2)

After i left K419 came with 3 DME and 1 CP
  by charlie6017

Is that where you caught all these movements.....at CP 5?

Charlie
  by waldwickrailfan

charlie6017 wrote:Is that where you caught all these movements.....at CP 5?

Charlie
Everything except WS1, Q439, K532, Q008 and Q410 were at CP5, those trains I just mentioned were at CP7