• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by cr1991

gregorygrice wrote:
expbusop wrote:Last few days noticed track equipment and CSX trucks working on track on left side of Willis Ave Bridge as you come over.It appears to be track farthest away from river. Also noticed them using concrete ties that were piled up close by. Does this have anything to do with Fresh Direct coming?
Isn't Fresh Direct in LIC?
Yes, but not for much longer.
  by ccutler

I got a ride in today, passing Oak Point Yard, which was full of trash cars and absent of C&D cars:
2014-10-05 14.09.33.jpg
The RIP track was full of cars for repairs a few weeks ago, now is empty:
2014-10-05 14.16.47.jpg
  by ccutler

The crossing replacement project in the back end of Hunts Point Market is almost done. The new and old rails don't align perfectly :-)
2014-10-05 14.32.23.jpg
Here is a photo of the railroad ties used on it, made of recycled plastics [hope they last]:
2014-10-05 14.36.55.jpg
  by gregorygrice

cr1991 wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
expbusop wrote:Last few days noticed track equipment and CSX trucks working on track on left side of Willis Ave Bridge as you come over.It appears to be track farthest away from river. Also noticed them using concrete ties that were piled up close by. Does this have anything to do with Fresh Direct coming?
Is that what all of the construction is by FedEx in the Bronx? (To the right of this photo)
  by cr1991

gregorygrice wrote:
cr1991 wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
Is that what all of the construction is by FedEx in the Bronx? (To the right of this photo)
Yes.
  by DogBert

P&W leaving - 5:30pm over hell gate, with a short train, sd-40-2/B39 up front, and sd60 on the rear. First 'pusher' in a long while on this run.
  by cr1991

Q431 was yarded in Croton and B749 will bring it South. Y101 went to Fresh Pond with trash cars and came back with 70 mixed freight. Looks like Y102 will be making a trip to Fresh Pond as well today.
Last edited by cr1991 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by csx8851

102 is the return run from fresh pond after 101 comes down. Isn't that correct or am I mistaken?
  by cr1991

csx8851 wrote:102 is the return run from fresh pond after 101 comes down. Isn't that correct or am I mistaken?
Y101 and Y102 are two separate yard jobs.
  by cr1991

Y101 with 70 or so cars heading for Fresh Pond. Return trip is small with 30 cars.
  by cr1991

Y101 departing late with about 50 cars. Return trip is going to be a big one with 90 cars, 35 being green trash.
  by DogBert

NYA was doing some trackwork on the bushwick branch, so they didn't pull the trash regularly.

You left off the use of a genset in the run - only other time I've seen that was when the work trains were running - 2 or 3 years back?

Power was 2 sd's, the genset & a gp38-2 (I think - didn't get a good look at it)
  by cr1991

DogBert wrote:You left off the use of a genset in the run - only other time I've seen that was when the work trains were running - 2 or 3 years back?
Eh. Not really a big deal IMO. Wasn't a leader nor is it anything special.
  by DogBert

I know, though the foamer in me is always intrigued by anything out of the norm on this route, since it's largely the same power year after year.
  by cr1991

DogBert wrote:I know, though the foamer in me is always intrigued by anything out of the norm on this route, since it's largely the same power year after year.
I have to agree with you on this. :-)