• CSX Montreal Secondary still go to Montreal?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Buffalobill

Is there still a train from Syracuse to Montreal? I see CN engines still come into Syracuse...
  by charlie6017

Yes, the Montreal Secondary from Syracuse to Massena is still intact and under CSX ownership is the "St. Lawrence Subdivision".

Now, the trackage from Massena into Canada heading northeast (to Quebec) is the "Montreal Subdivision" and is in the process of being sold to Canadian Pacific.

More discussion here in the New York State forum on these two subdivisions......
Lots of reading!! :-)

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=54770

Charlie
  by NaDspr

Buffalobill wrote:Is there still a train from Syracuse to Montreal? I see CN engines still come into Syracuse...
The CN crews bring the train from Montreal to Cecile Jct, PQ on CN tracks, then run on CSX tracks from Cecile Jct. to Huntingdon, PQ. CSX crews take over there and bring the train to Massena, then another crew brings it to Watertown, then another crew brings it to Dewitt, then another crew takes it to Selkirk.

The CSX Montreal Subdivision is out of service from Beaharnois, PQ to Adirondack Jct, PQ.
  by lvrr325

Given Syracuse to Massena used to be able to be done with one crew, I'd say the in service portion of the line isn't much better than the out of service portion.