• CSX GP30 No. 2211

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Schaffner

I saw this GP30 westbound through Erie on an autorack train on 3/13/2009. It was the second unit, coupled to anther Geep. Is this one of CSX's "slug sets" I've read about here, or is 2211 a fully functional GP30?
  by charlie6017

That GP30 is a road slug. It's "mother" is GP40-2 #6454. I also saw it 3/13 westbound through Churchville NY------the train was Q229 (Selkirk-Cleveland).
  by kalvingp30fan

Arent all the GP30's road slugs now?
  by charlie6017

I believe all the CSXT GP30s are road slugs.
  by lvrr325

That I know of the only functional class-1 GP30s were most recently all on BNSF - rebuilt former Santa Fe GP30s which may or may not still be in service, and former BN GP39-2s in various carbodies including GP30s, some of which did get the green and orange paint and were used mainly in local service. Again they may or may not be still in service.
  by maguire54

Help me out, I always thought slugs were nothing but traction motors and some extra weight. But apparently the do have control stands. I saw one of the ex-GP30 units in the lead of a train in Wilsmere yard the other day. The engineer was in that unit. Is this normal? Sorry if I sound like a newbie - I am.
  by charlie6017

The road slugs (like #2211) do have control stands, etc. The yard slugs that are half as tall as a regular engine do not....
  by daylight4449

there are two different types of slugs on CSX, all converted inhouse. the first program was the MATES program, which made the half sized units. the RMTDs are full sized and equipped with cabs so they can safely lead a consist. any number of slugs, in theroy, could be coupled to a mother, giving greater versitility. anywho, anyone have stuff on the RMTDs. asside from the details of the program, i don't know much else. any help?
  by lvrr325

A slug primarily provides tractive effort at low speeds to start a train rolling.

The RDMT slugs are used in local service basically to save fuel, they allow a single unit to more easily start a train, and they also provide a cab with good visibility in either direction, so there's no need to run engines long hood forward. According to the stencil inside the cab, they're not to be operated over 60 MPH.
  by roadster

Not to mention how nice and quiet they are to ride in
  by SurlyKnuckle

there are two different types of slugs on CSX, all converted inhouse. the first program was the MATES program, which made the half sized units.
The MATES were built new by GE for the SCL.

AFAIK the SWMTs from former GP7s and GP9s were done by the railroad's own shops (Chessie System), and the RDMTs were done by M-K, or some other contractor...possibly VMV. I think it was the same people who did all the SD40-2 rebuilds in 1990.
  by WVU

Back in the late 80's and early 90's when the SD40 units were made Dash-2 on CSX, M&K did around 1/2 of them and CSX Huntington Locomotive Shop did the other 1/2
  by WVU

On CSX, the Road Slugs are designed to Pull up to 25 mph and then they will drop out. At speed below 25 mph they will come back on line.
  by roadster

That's odd, I have had a roadslug set on an auto rack leading and did every bit of 50 mph out of Buffalo 2 years ago. Rochester, and Syracuse locals have used them traveling 80 miles round trips at track speed to date. Most have a stencil on the cab wall warning not to exceed 70 mph. Are you refering to the MT yard slug sets?