• CSX derailment at QN (MARC Brunswick Line / Union Lead)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by STrRedWolf

Reddit discussion on the derailment.

MARC is already advising folks that the commute will be a mess tomorrow.

Assuming he is on Reddit as well, our Sandbox John thinks they're run to Silver Spring (if they run at all). I really doubt that, namely because QN is between Union Station and Silver Spring. MARC is also telling folks between Germantown Silver Spring to locate their Ride-On bus to WMATA Metrorail, which lended me to believe that they're tempted to turn at Rockville, namely because the connection to Metrorail there.

However, after checking history (the 2009 Metrorail crash north of Fort Totten), I'm more tempted to say they'll just cancel service all day on the Brunswick line. They probably will be forced to do that, unless CSX can hold a path down to Silver Spring or Rockville and keep the GEORGETOWN JCT or DERWOOD interlocking clear so the trains can return back to Brunswick. There's no place to park the trains elsewhere other than Union Station/Ivy City.
  by MCL1981

It will be a juggling act no matter what. If they run to Silver Spring, they should cross over at Georgetown Junction to track 1, unload on track 1 at Silver Spring, then reverse back out west on track 1. There should be enough time between trains for this to happen without any kind of log jam forming at Georgetown Junction.

If the choose to unload at Rockville, it's basically the same dance, except they'd be using Derwood or Twinbrook (I think) to cross over. I hope they run to Spring.
  by STrRedWolf

I won't be surprised if they split the difference, turning half at Rockville and rest at Silver Spring. Depends on if there's freight needed to be delivered between Derwood and Silver Spring.

Ether way, they're definitely hauling the trains back up the line, and there's definitely going to be some crew juggling.
  by MCL1981

They're only running three trains today. One from Martinsburg, one from Brunswick, and one from Frederick. I will be leaving early and driving in today. Not playing the cattle herding game.

Morning
--Train 892 (6:05am departure from Frederick)
--Train 878 (6:25am departure from Martinsburg)
--Train 880 (7:45am departure from Brunswick)

Afternoon
--Train 875 – It will depart Silver Spring at 4:39pm to Martinsburg.
--Train 893 – It will depart Silver Spring at 5:34pm to Frederick.
--Train 881 – It will depart Silver Spring at 7:04pm. Busses from Brunkswick to Harpers Ferry, Duffields, and Martinsburg.
  by STrRedWolf

Some more details on MARC's notice.

More commuter buses between Monocacy & Shady Grove with cross-honoring.

More relevant to us, three non-Brunswick trains were canceled:

Penn Line Train 428 (4:10pm departure from Union Station)
Penn Line Train 447 (5:50pm departure from Penn Station)
Camden Line Train 844 (7:40am departure from Union Station)
  by STrRedWolf

Basically.

I pulled up the latest photos from WTOP, and it looks like all of QN Interlocking got hit by the derailment. CSX's plan is to pull up track, dig up the chemical-splashed bedding, lay down fresh bedding, relay track, test, and open.

Well, there goes the week. MARC is taking it day by day.
  by MCL1981

This is getting to be an expensive week of driving. The garage across from the office is $20/day to park, plus the gas driving there and back.
  by STrRedWolf

Brunswick line's still on the reduced schedule today, but they found a train to run Penn's 428 and 447.

Want to bet that they got a train out from Fredrick or Brunswick via the CSX Old Main line over to St. Dennis, and then down to DC?
  by MCL1981

STrRedWolf wrote:Brunswick line's still on the reduced schedule today, but they found a train to run Penn's 428 and 447.

Want to bet that they got a train out from Fredrick or Brunswick via the CSX Old Main line over to St. Dennis, and then down to DC?
It's probably not from Frederick. 892 is the only Frederick train that's actually a long consist of multi-level cars, and it is making the runs to Silver Spring. The other two are two in Frederick are 3 car trains that they probably wouldn't use on the Penn Line. They probably stole one of the 5-6 car sets from Brunswick. They may have brought it through QN once the train wreck was removed and before taking the tracks apart.
  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:Brunswick line's still on the reduced schedule today, but they found a train to run Penn's 428 and 447.

It's probably not from Frederick. 892 is the only Frederick train that's actually a long consist of multi-level cars, and it is making the runs to Silver Spring. The other two are two in Frederick are 3 car trains that they probably wouldn't use on the Penn Line. They probably stole one of the 5-6 car sets from Brunswick. They may have brought it through QN once the train wreck was removed and before taking the tracks apart.
I really doubt the FRA and local government would run a train at 15mph through QN with caustic base solution on the ground, especially when they are going to dig it up and replace said bedding.

My bet is they ran them through the Old Main line to Baltimore, then down like it was a Camden line train. It may be the safest route to deadhead the train.