• CSX closes Framingham southside rail yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by wickchz

this continues to be a very interesting and informative discussion. but, i am still curious why there remains so much activity on the line running from 135 to the CP yard that crosses 126 @ Washaukum St. Is the fact that the yard is apparently still being used for overflow from the North and Nevins yards and for staging of trains heading west a temporary condition or something that should be expected indefinitely? am i simply mistaken to have thought that the closing of the CP yard was going to reduce (or even eliminate) such traffic on that line?
  by Ironman

What kind of traffic do you see? I mean general freight, light engines, work train, what?

I can't believe they would need the CP yard for overflow now, when business is down so much. Acutally, I've never seen the CP yard used for overflow.
  by wickchz

Can anyone explain the barrage of train activity throughout last night on the line between 135 and the CP yard that crosses Waushakum @ 126? Or, can anyone direct me to a website that provides and/or explains the CSX train schedule throughout all of Framingham, including the lines to the CP yard and running north across Rt. 9?

And, responding to Ironman's question from 3/25, the train traffic on the line appears to be general freight, but I cannot say for sure.

Thanks for any information.
  by consist

Moves to and from the CP yard now will not be on any schedule.
I don't know what conditions need to arise to make the CP yard a desirable spot to stage or leave a train. But it doesn't sound farfetched. The other two yards have been seeing plenty of trains despite the overall business climate, so at times the need to use spare trackage is plausible. I just don't know the details of when and why.
  by daylight4449

frrc wrote:No doubt the locals are "celebrating in the streets"....When I lived in Framingham 30 years ago, they had the same "railroads are evil" attitude towards the Penn Central, then Conrail, and so on. I used to recall the local PD giving the grade crossing tender at Rt 135 a hard time every time a train held up traffic. They forget that the railroads built Framingham, from farmland and woods.
shows the bad side to nimbys.