Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

I was surprised they scrapped the flanger. That was an orginal EL flanger (you could see the EL paint under the MTA blue).

-otto-

by harmon44

Unless someone knows of the flanger being moved, its gone. The caboose and flanger were in line together. They started on the caboose and within the week the two were gone. They even worked all day one Sunday. Havn't seen any recent activity.

by MN Jim

Otto Vondrak wrote:I was surprised they scrapped the flanger. That was an orginal EL flanger (you could see the EL paint under the MTA blue).
Actually it was an EL (ex-Erie) caboose. I believe MN converted it to a flanger.

Jim

by DogBert

They chopped up the caboose?!! Wow that sucks. It looked like it was in pretty decent shape. Very clean in and out.

The FL9s in there, at least as of 2 months ago, were 2044, and LIRR 300-302. 301 is in particularly rough shape and has a tree branch through one cab window.

Does anyone know anything about the 2 older cars that were in the line? they appeared to have last been used as ofiice space and/or work cars of some fashion.

by harmon44

The flanger was a converted caboose.