• Crossing gates

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by TerryC

I have read about and seen people driving around crossing gates on numerous occasions. Would it be possible to install a stronger motor and have longer crossing gates? The idea is to have the gate go all the way across the road. To support the gate if necessary, a hinged post could be at the end that lowers as the gate lowers. That way the gate is being supported and not sagging.

keep asking keep learning
05-05-05

by emd_SD_60

That was what I was thinking also, a longer crossing gate arm that extends the width of the entire roadway just might stop those idiots from going around. :wink: I think over in Marion where the BNSF crosses Route 13 (a 4-lane highway throughout town) they have this. Also where the UP crosses the same highway further east it has extra width gates too.

by SRS125

Maine street in Port Byron had a little rod attached to the gates on a temporay term when the gates were extended. The idea was simple but proved to be more of a problum and the gates were shortened back to there normal 6 foot reach.

What could be done is 4 gates at one crossing that drop to prevent people from driveing around them. Or how about a fence type crossing much like the ones used in europe were a long gate or fence rolls out on wheels and blocks the crossing till the train clears.