• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by R&DB

NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 pm Middletown at 5:33 pm

Going at permitted Freight Track Speed 40 mph
I didn't know the Coastline was only Class 3 now. I do know it was at least Class 4 and possibly 5 about 55 years ago. I actually timed it with my watch between Middleton and Matawan watching the mile markers go by in less than a minute. (circa 1969)
  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouthCoastLine Are you sure? Last I heard the max speed for freight was 25-30 MPH...
  by CharlieL

Since it was traveling in prime-time, maybe they were told to goose it.

@R&DB: I remember them days. Going back further, even the tea-kettles used to haul butt.
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Route 88 in Lakewood 8:56 PM

Back in the old days I’d imagine that all the freight around here moved way faster, and arguably more efficiently too.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 pm Approaching Route 88 in Lakewood 8:56 PM

Back in the old days I’d imagine that all the freight around here moved way faster, and arguably more efficiently too.
That's what happens when you don't keep your track up-to-date. Doesn't help when you have massive companies AND the state running the show.

Hopefully, D&D will be able to change things up. Remember, the FIT-SOUS connection is just Phase 1, I think we can expect to see more phases.
  by R&DB

CharlieL wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:54 pm Since it was traveling in prime-time, maybe they were told to goose it.

@R&DB: I remember them days. Going back further, even the tea-kettles used to haul butt.
The CNJ ran the Southern Division well above 70 mph from the 1880s to the 1950s. As has been previously noted, track maintenance is the reason for our current track speeds. In the 1930s the Blue Comet ran a lot of this line at close to 100 mph.
  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 pm
CharlieL wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:54 pm Since it was traveling in prime-time, maybe they were told to goose it.

The CNJ ran the Southern Division well above 70 mph from the 1880s to the 1950s. As has been previously noted, track maintenance is the reason for our current track speeds. In the 1930s the Blue Comet ran a lot of this line at close to 100 mph.
Even with current track maintenance, it seems like in general, they are more strict about train speed. I'm sure with the current upkeep of the Coast Line, and the technology for it now, the management of the pre-70's would probably allow much higher speeds than we allow now. I can't imagine that many of the rails then would be allowed to be ran on at those speeds now.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 pm @NJTMonmouthCoastLine Are you sure? Last I heard the max speed for freight was 25-30 MPH...
Correction it’s 30 mph for freight traffic
  by R&DB

See also:

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/
Note that this is not current. NJT does not report their Track Class. But this has the Southern Secondary at 25mph (Class 2) when in reality it is Excepted Class. (10mph Freight only)
Last edited by R&DB on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by trainster78

The NJCL is FRA class 4. Despite its freight restrictions to 30mph, its still considered class 4.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Thank you for the information!
  by Bracdude181

SA31 didn’t go back last night and is currently tied down at Woodhaven. Expect them to leave within the next two hours.
  by Bracdude181

Correction. SA 31 did not drill Woodhaven last night. They will likely take about an hour doing that before leaving Lakewood