• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OCtrainguy

The SA31 sure didn't spend a lot of time on the Southern yesterday. Based on information provided here, they past Patterson Avenue shortly after two, and were back up at Hazlet just before six. It is a very interesting question about the speed of a single freight engine though.

by Jtgshu

I didn't realize that it was only one engine, so they would be regulated by the speed of the single unit light speed, whatever that would be, I would guess 30, so it wouldn't matter if the freight or passenger speeds would apply. But even so, my original question still stands, which would apply, Single/Multiple Lite or the Frieght speeds?

by NY&LB

It also raises some interesting questions about the speed restrictions on the line. Assuming SA 31 went all the way to Lakehurst, at 10 MPH it would not be possible to be back in Hazlet in 4 hours.
  by OCtrainguy

I was looking through an old "little" Conrail timetable for the Southern Secondary. The only speed limits are with respect to the Southern Secondary itself, and no mention of locomotive count. Obviously though, an engineer or a conducter who has worked for Conrail that has been on the NJT lines would know about a light engine move and their speed limitations.

If the SA31 had a dirt car, they would have at least placed it on the spur down in Lakehurst. From earlier posts, we know the Sperry car put a 10 mph limit on the whole line. There was nothing posted about the speed limit being lifted, but it could have. Haven't seen or heard of any track improvements from Red Bank to Lakehurst either, though.

by Jtgshu

NY&LB wrote:It also raises some interesting questions about the speed restrictions on the line. Assuming SA 31 went all the way to Lakehurst, at 10 MPH it would not be possible to be back in Hazlet in 4 hours.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :D

by NY&LB

I forgot about the time change that occurs in Lakewood, the 10 MPH speed works out exactly when you take that into account!

by nolifeCRchaser

Jtgshu wrote:I didn't realize that it was only one engine, so they would be regulated by the speed of the single unit light speed, whatever that would be, I would guess 30, so it wouldn't matter if the freight or passenger speeds would apply. But even so, my original question still stands, which would apply, Single/Multiple Lite or the Frieght speeds?
The answer to your question would be Single Lite as it is just the one lite engine and not two or more units MU'ed(Multiple Lite) and no cars in tow. Being that the GP-38-2 is not listed under SI 1004-1, I would assume the speed would be 30mph for a Single Lite unit and it is not an F40 or ALP which has a max Single Lite speed of 50mph. The dispacther could have told him to get off the RR as soon as possible in order for the movement of passenger trains. I have had several occurences(once on the coast) where the dispatcher told us to give him a good move by "Doing whatever you have to do to safely get off of my railroad in a timely manner."(NJT's Rule #1 to freight train employees: Don't get in the way of my passenger trains!). Maximum speed for freight on the NJCL is 30mph with several restrictions thrown in as mentioned previously. In my opinion, 30mph is for tourists.

As far as running back to Browns lite and the 10mph restrictions on the Southern, the SA35 used to do it on several ocasions as mentioned by OCtrainguy mostly because the cars are not ordered out or the trainmaster may have given instructions as to leaving the cars. I am not sure why they would leave the cars for several days, when we have to retrieve our empties the day they are released due to shortages out west. Onto the speed restrictions, I don't think that I have ever seen the SA31 do 10mph except while drilling. 50-60mph is their normal speed. Just try chasing the train down Faraday Ave and watch it blow by you while your driving the speed limit of 50mph.
  by OCtrainguy

nolifeCRchaser wrote:Just try chasing the train down Faraday Ave and watch it blow by you while your driving the speed limit of 50mph.
Good ol' Faraday Avenue! Our ace in the hole! I hope the township doesn't lower the speed limit on that road.

by NY&LB

A CR ballast train went down the line yesterday afternoon. The train was tied up at Patterson Avenue, idling with no crew in sight, about 6 PM, last night, power (headed east) was a NS GP 40-2 followed by a CSX GP 15. I have the numbers in my car and will post them later. Counted 20 CR gray ballast cars and then the curve came into play, probably were 40 + cars on the train. I have to go into Red Bank at 8 am so I will check to see if the train is still there. The question now is where was the ballast dumped?I was down in Lakehurst about 3 weeks ago and the OOS track looks like it needed some work before any attempt could be made to add ballast.

by CRRNJ878

Interesting...maybe this may be part of the work to get the line back over 10mph again??? When is the last time that a ballast train came down the line, anyone know? Rgds...

by OCtrainguy

A ballast train came down when the spur to the naval base was rebuilt and when Conrail removed two tracks in Lakehurst between the Route 70 overpass and Union Avenue. I have pictures of the ballast cars and gondolas on my website. I did not catch any motive power related, just the cars.

http://community.webshots.com/album/48369319dvNeFn/0

by CRRNJ878

Just wondering, wolf or anyone else, any further talk on the sand trains?
rgds....

by NY&LB

The ballast train was gone (East from Patterson Ave, Shrewsbury) at 7:45 this morning. Power was: NS GP 40-2 3055 and CSX GP 15 1537.

by nolifeCRchaser

I got word that an NS engine was leading a train out of Lakewood or Lakehurst at around 8pm tonight. I doubt that a train will run on sunday, but then again you never know.

About the sand trains, I had heard from a soucre working on the developement project in Heritage Minerals that the dirt was contaminated and he has heard nothing about any trains running to Heritage.

by OCtrainguy

Drove by Browns Yard today and CSX GP15-1 1537 and PRR GP40-2 were both there, still coupled together. No clear sign of any ballast cars, but they could've been buried in the yard or already moved elsewhere. No sign of the NS GP38-2 either. I do hope the SA31 runs with PRR GP40-2 3052 on its next venture down the Southern Secondary though.

With respect to Heritage Minerals, H.K. Hovnanian was slated to build a large quantity of housing there. Wonder if that plan is still in the works....