• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RailsEast

Trainster...unless that head-end NS box is for Extech, they're all for Woodhaven...they get both centerbeams & boxcars. Brick Recycling gets the gons & Bel-Ray gets the tanks (on Brick's siding).
Chris
  by OCtrainguy

pdtrains wrote:OK...more questions...or...name that out-of-service siding. These are all sidings that are still connected to the main track, but OOS afaik. Wondering who they were for , and when the last time they received cars.
1. Howell NJ. siding on west side of track, facing north....goes to a switchback, which is still in service. Closest buildings are miller truck leasing and Haddon Food Products. about a half mile north of Oak Glen Road.

2. Howell NJ...Jst south of above switch, north of Oak glen road, on west side of tracks, switch faces south. Serves a building listed as Multi Alloy, on google.

3. Lakewood....Switch off of runaround downtown Lakewood. East side of runaround, switch faces north. Closest building appears abandoned. track goes into weeds about a carlength past switch.

4. Lakewood...Right across from Woodhaven lumber. switch on east side of main, facing north. Closest building says "ateres Reva" on google.

5. Clayton Concrete. Looks like they used to get cars portland cement or something. Almost every concrete or block place, it seems, used to get their dry cement by rail in covered hopper cars. Now seems its all delivered by pneumatic trucks. IDK why. Switch is on east side of main, facing north, just south of woodhaven (opposite side of main)

Well, that's it for now. I know about gold lumber...cause the 1st time I went to Farmingdale in my life (2000 ish ?) I saw the local in town switching gold lumber.

TIA. Just wondering.
Number four maybe the old siding for US Components. I don't remember the background, if they closed or moved, but it may have been related to the housing/construction downturn. I'm pretty sure a Jewish school moved into the property.

Number one or two, I forget which may have been Weyerhauser, which received cars when I first started photographing the SA35. It then became a drop-off point for DiNaso for a while if I remember correctly.

With respect to photo ops in/around Lakewood, both traffic and the timing of the train in the evening make that challenging.
  by OCtrainguy

Since we had some rain this afternoon and I was on my Railroad Picture Archives site, I looked to see if I had any there from Lakewood, which I do.

Drilling DiNaso & Sons on 3-18-2007: http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=780532
Approaching Cross Street in Lakewood, before the runaround was put in, on 2-22-2009: http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1510310

And here is one from Lakehurst on 2-28-2009 with the Toms River Industrial Track and the Ocean County siding, where the engine was tied down at this point and time:
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1510313
  by Black no. 1

pdtrains wrote:OK...more questions...or...name that out-of-service siding. These are all sidings that are still connected to the main track, but OOS afaik. Wondering who they were for , and when the last time they received cars.
1. Howell NJ. siding on west side of track, facing north....goes to a switchback, which is still in service. Closest buildings are miller truck leasing and Haddon Food Products. about a half mile north of Oak Glen Road.

2. Howell NJ...Jst south of above switch, north of Oak glen road, on west side of tracks, switch faces south. Serves a building listed as Multi Alloy, on google.

3. Lakewood....Switch off of runaround downtown Lakewood. East side of runaround, switch faces north. Closest building appears abandoned. track goes into weeds about a carlength past switch.

4. Lakewood...Right across from Woodhaven lumber. switch on east side of main, facing north. Closest building says "ateres Reva" on google.

5. Clayton Concrete. Looks like they used to get cars portland cement or something. Almost every concrete or block place, it seems, used to get their dry cement by rail in covered hopper cars. Now seems its all delivered by pneumatic trucks. IDK why. Switch is on east side of main, facing north, just south of woodhaven (opposite side of main)

Well, that's it for now. I know about gold lumber...cause the 1st time I went to Farmingdale in my life (2000 ish ?) I saw the local in town switching gold lumber.

TIA. Just wondering.
Man, haven't logged on in years, had to make a new username. Anyways, without digging out my old conrail maps, if you were heading south toward Lakewood, the first switch you would have come to would have been Weyerhaeuser, the second switch is (was) Hoffman foods. Pretty sure that's right. Switch across from woodhaven was US components.
  by NYSW2300

TOMSTV1 wrote:]Image
Why would it be?
  by NJT4149

Per a legitimate source, today’s train is supposed to have CSX 4452 and NS 5282. This should be the first Southern trip for the 4452...
  by NJT4149

SA-31 permission to open Church 3:33 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:47 PM
  by RailsEast

Correct, NS 5282 leading CSX 4452 with 14; one tank & 13 Woodhavens. Approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:55 in the pm.
  by RailsEast

Also, Donny may be right; CSX 4452 has worked out of Pavonia and Manville, but I cannot find evidence of her being down the Southern prior to today.
Chris
  by NJT4149

SA-38 eastbound through Farmingdale at 12:45 AM with CSX 4452, NS 5282, 16 empty Woodhavens, 1 tank
  by RailsEast

Eastbound through Shrewsbury at 0215 hours....
  by R&DB

Re: North Jersey Coast Line Thread
New postby trainster78 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm

All southbound trains are subject to 20 minute delays between ABD-MTW and Long Branch due to trackwork between Middletown and Hazlet giving Northbound trains priority on track 1
trainster78

I wonder if this will cause problems for tomorrow's SA-31?
  by RailsEast

Apparently not, coming on to NJT now...
  by trainster78

Nope, the trackwork from NJT ends between trains 3247 and 2303, shouldn't affect WPSA-31 at all, I'm waiting up at Oak Hill road for 3251, 3260 and WPSA-31, always nice to see freight under the wires