• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4149

NJT4149 wrote:The tank car and gondola were set out on the siding at Main Street in Lakewood for SA38 to pick up later. The train then proceeded to Cross Street where they used the runaround. I found it interesting how the tank car is set out and picked up later, rather than being included in the runaround.
Turns out SA38 is not on duty tonight; SA31 will take the train north tomorrow afternoon.
  by NYSW2300

NJT4149 wrote:The tank car and gondola were set out on the siding at Main Street in Lakewood for SA38 to pick up later. The train then proceeded to Cross Street where they used the runaround. I found it interesting how the tank car is set out and picked up later, rather than being included in the runaround.
The tank is a loaded haz mat, so it needs to be no closer than 6 cars from the engine. I think with the large train and short runaround its just easier to ditch it in Lakewood and pick it up later, than trying to make a few moves on it in South Lakewood and blocking Cross St for longer than normal.
  by joesirr

SA 31 clear of Church 9:02 pm.
  by NJT4149

SA31 permission to occupy the Church Running Track at 3:58 PM
Lined and locked normal at Church 4:48 PM
SA31 by Patterson Ave at 5:29 PM with CSX 2798, CSX 4441, and 18 cars, including a gon and tanker.
Pinebrook Road at 5:54 PM
Last edited by NJT4149 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by RailsEast

CSX 2798, CSX 4441 + 18, with one gon & one tank car, approaching Eatontown at 5:40 in the pm. Two boxcars on the head-end with ABOX reporting marks....brick cars?
Chris
  by NJT4149

RailsEast wrote:CSX 2798, CSX 4441 + 18, with one gon & one tank car, approaching Eatontown at 5:40 in the pm. Two boxcars on the head-end with ABOX reporting marks....brick cars?
Chris
Boxcars on the front are not brick cars. They did not pick up the brick car from last week; I guess Extech didn't finish unloading it.
  by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the updates on the SA31. Hoping I can see them next week.
  by southern sec. kid

Going to have to look more into this tomorrow morning but I saw something very interesting a few minutes ago on my drive home. There is at least one boxcar (last car on the train on its way to lakewood judging by the placement of the EOTD) Fouling the main line in between Marl road and Squankum Yellowbrook road. Don't know if it was derailed, had a bad wheel or whatever but it was still causing the lights at Squankum to flash. I had notified the Norfolk Southern Police and they were going to check it out.
  by NJRAILNUT

That's very interesting. Wish I still lived in the area so I could check it out myself. Where exactly on the line is that stretch of rail located? Towards the end? I find it hard to believe the crew would willingly set out a car in a location that caused the flashers at the road to continuously go off....unless they REALLY couldn't move it any further. Perhaps a derailment.
  by NJT4149

When SA31 passed me in Farmingdale last night, I noticed something on the last car that was very unusual. It was a CN box car, and there was a sign on the side of it which read, "Home shop for repair. Do not load." I have no idea what that means, but it might help in the mystery as to why this car was set out. If I were to guess, it probably means that there is a serious defect with the car. If that is true, then that raises the question as to why that car was on the train in the first place.
  by ApproachMedium

NJT4149 wrote:When SA31 passed me in Farmingdale last night, I noticed something on the last car that was very unusual. It was a CN box car, and there was a sign on the side of it which read, "Home shop for repair. Do not load." I have no idea what that means, but it might help in the mystery as to why this car was set out. If I were to guess, it probably means that there is a serious defect with the car. If that is true, then that raises the question as to why that car was on the train in the first place.
Home shop repair do not load means that the car needs to return to its owner for repairs and it cannot be loaded due to whatever damage has happened to the car. it could be something as simple as missing a cut lever or as bad as truck springs. Bad doors, failed lock mechanisms or issues with the interior floor, walls or roof can happen too.
  by RailsEast

Train is still south of Marl Rd, about MP 51 & a half I guess, shut down. Conrail maintainer on the scene said he was told there was a tree down, across the tracks, prohibiting passage. No tree visible at 11:45 this morning, so they are good to go as soon as a crew can get here. Looks like daylight photo ops in Lakewood today, so catch them if you can.....
Chris
  by NJT4149

RailsEast wrote:Train is still south of Marl Rd, about MP 51 & a half I guess, shut down. Conrail maintainer on the scene said he was told there was a tree down, across the tracks, prohibiting passage. No tree visible at 11:45 this morning, so they are good to go as soon as a crew can get here. Looks like daylight photo ops in Lakewood today, so catch them if you can.....
Chris
SA31 crew just arrived at Squankum-Yellowbrook Road
  by NJT4149

SA31 by Maxim Road at 1:46 PM
  by southern sec. kid

Sorry about the false Info guys! Only looked like a single car from where I was looking lat night !