• CP Orders All Trains Stopped - Veterans' Day

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by B&M Minuteman

Canadian Pacific ordered all trains on the railway stopped to observe 2 minutes silence at 11am on November 11th. Did this include the Empire Builder? I assume it would have been near Tomah, WI if on-time.

by Gilbert B Norman

Many others 'laid down' far more than I was ever called upon to do.

A fitting gesture, to which I have learned was made in Canada as well as in the USA. Many Canadian lives too have been laid down in foreign wars; and accordingly Canada observes "Rememberance Day' on November 11 as well.

GBN
Sgt. USAF (1965-69)

by I Like BNSF

I would be interested in knowing if the Builder did indeed stop and how this was conveyed to the passengers? Operationally I don’t think there would be a problem if everything was stopped at the same time. Any thoughts?

Don’t think Amtrak was stopped on BNSF.

Thanks CPR. Class Act! (Classy Logo to!)

by John_Perkowski

First question: Where along the route of the Empire Builder does the train cut onto Canadian Pacific territory? From everything I've ever read, this is a pure GN run.... Please enlighten on that ...

Now, as to Veteran's Day...

The price of freedom is not and never will be free. Our Nation was born in rebellion. Had Britain defeated the Continental Army in the field, many would have hung as traitors to the Crown.

Through over two centuries, and wars and campaigns beyond number, we've been fortunate to have those who stood in harms' way for the cause of Freedom.

It's because of that Freedom that most of us have the privilege we did on November 2 to elect our National leaders.

We've had, through the years, a steadfast neighbor and ally in Canada. We won't always agree, but we do, enough of the time. I remember watching one of their howitzers lose traction and slide down a snowy grade at Grafenwoehr when I was a young Captain. I called my maintenance officer and medics to come assist, before I called Range Control and reported the accident. Later, the artillerymen of two different battalions had one huge party at the Club when our training cycles ramped down.

So, if the Canadian Pacific elects to hold its trains at the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, in Remembrance of their warriors, I will respect that call, and thank them for remembering their own troops.

John Perkowski
Lieutenant Colonel, Field Artillery, US Army Reserve
  by David Benton

a fitting tribute .

However as a queens subject ( reluctantly i might add , i see no need for royalty ) , i must add that virtually all former colonies enjoy the right to vote , indeed my country views a voter turnout of less than 90 % as disappointing .

Back to Amtrak , was CP the only railroad to stop trains on the 11th ?

by metrarider

As 'Armistice day' (as it was originally called in the US) was origonally to commemorate the armistice of WW I, many countries observe it in honour of those that died in fighting there. (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month marks the end of WW I fighting, which took place in 1918.)

In the US, it was officially expanded to cover all war veterans and changed it's name to Veterans day, while in many other countries it retains it's original name, but people use it to remember any of their armed forces whom fought in many wars.

by I Like BNSF

John_Perkowski wrote:First question: Where along the route of the Empire Builder does the train cut onto Canadian Pacific territory? From everything I've ever read, this is a pure GN run.... Please enlighten on that ...

John Perkowski
Lieutenant Colonel, Field Artillery, US Army Reserve
The Empire Builder is on Canadian Pacific all the way from Chicago to Minneapolis/St Paul. (CP shared trackage rights in some terminal areas)

by AmtrakFan

It was pure GN ran on the Q to Chicago until Amtrak took over and put on Mr. Norman's MILW.

AmtrakFan

by Gilbert B Norman

Although the CB&Q was 45% owned each by Great Northern and Northern Pacific, with the remaining 10% publicly held, the Q was operated as an independent property. However, during the 1920's, a merger was proposed between the GN and NP, but such was conditioned upon a divestiture of their interests in the "Q". This was unacceptable to the two "Hill" roads.

Some former Q men would 'rollin' in their graves" upon reading Mr. Fan's preceeding statement. :P

by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Some former Q men would 'rollin' in their graves" upon reading Mr. Fan's preceeding statement. :P
Yes they would Mr. Norman :P :P :-D

by John_Perkowski

Ok, so to be clear...

Amtrak runs the Builder on CP (ex MILW) trackage from wherever Chicago Terminal RR ends to Milwaukee.

At that point, BNSF (GN) takes over.

Do I have that right?

(Gil, is there a logical reason for running on the MILW vice the Q?)

To Dave Benton,

Amazing thing, this experiment in democracy we created here ... expanded far from the Magna Carta and the unwritten Constitution. Much as I dislike France, their rebellion comes in part from the American experiment. Too bad the Poland of my heritage was partitioned by the Magnates, Prussia, Austria, and Russia.

John

by AmtrakFan

John_Perkowski wrote:Ok, so to be clear...

Amtrak runs the Builder on CP (ex MILW) trackage from wherever Chicago Terminal RR ends to Milwaukee.

Do I have that right?

(Gil, is there a logical reason for running on the MILW vice the Q?)

John
Yes you are correct Col. Perkowski with the EB to answer your question about the MILW it had to do with Cities I was talking with a fomer Amtrak Manger and he said it had to do with a larger population base.

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

John_Perkowski wrote:Ok, so to be clear...

No. It runs on terminal trackage, then Metra, then CP to St. Paul (actually Minnesota Commercial at the station). BNSF takes over from there.
(is there a logical reason for running on the MILW vice the Q?)
Because it serves Milwaukee.

by CNJ

AmtrakFan wrote:It was pure GN ran on the Q to Chicago until Amtrak took over and put on Mr. Norman's MILW.

AmtrakFan
Actually, I think we need Mr. Norman's Milwaukee back..... :wink: