• CP locos on River Line, then on Hudson?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by DogBert

CP has never stopped running down the hudson line to and from fresh pond (NY&A interchange). They run 3 days a week (M/W/F). They haul a fraction of what CSX does but so far's I know they do good moving aggregates in especially during the warmer months.
  by CPSK

So I guess hanging out at one of the stations along the line would give me some opportunity to see some CP power?
I would assume that those trains are mostly at night though.

FW
  by Ironman

The east leg of the wye is used every Monday by L172.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

CPSK wrote:Hi;
Today I went on a rail trip from GCT NYC to Poughkeepsie, NY on Metro North.
On my way up the Hudson line on MNCR, I thought I saw two CP Rail locos (back to back) on the River Line.I think, but not sure that where I saw the locos on the River Line was Newburgh.
They were not moving, and I don't believe were pulling any cars.

I wasn't even sure when I saw them that what I was seeing was really CP locos. I mean, it could have been a building next to the track with the same colors as CP, but the colors were right for the CP. Thing is, they were in the shadows, so it's hard to make out details from so far away.

I pretty much forgot about the locos for the rest of the trip... that is, until I was headed home on the Hudson line about 4-1/2 hours later, passing through what I think was the Bronx.
I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw two CP locos, back to back, there, in the Bronx.
There was a string (I think pretty short) of gondola or coal cars behind the locos, and the train was facing north.

What are the chances that I saw two different sets of CP locos on opposite sides of the Hudson in about 4-1/2 hours?
The thing is, I was in view of the River Line for much of the time heading to Poughkeepsie, and then again while I was on the bridge, and I didn't see those locos moving on the River Line.

Could these locos have run up with a short train, or maybe lite to SK, then headed east across the Hudson, and down the Hudson line in 4-1/2 hours?
Is there a coal fired power plant in Newburgh? I know of the one in Thompkins Cove, but that's pretty far south, so the time
But then, if it was the same train, why was it facing north on the Hudson line after having come south from Albany?

I'm doing the math, and figuring that if they were the same locos, they would have had to move pretty fast up the River Line, then down the Hudson line to get to the Bronx from say Newburgh in 4-1/2 hours.

So, what do you think?
Could I have seen two different sets of CP locos in the same afternoon / evening?

FW

I cannot explain the double CP engines on the River Sub as anything other than a light engine move northward towards Selkirk. Several River Sub manifests, CSX Q-417/418 and Q-433/434 are well known to run with CP and sometimes even CN power. This possibly again might have simply been a light engine move.

As for what you saw in the Bronx, that was the, more or less, 3 day a week CP Rail (Delaware & Hudson) Train #417 from Fresh Pond Yard, Glendale, Queens, NY via Oak Point Yard (Bronx) to Kenwood Yard, Albany NY. It has a very screwy schedule and seemingly runs as needed, though for the most part it has been known and seen to appear 3 days a week, as does its nocturnal/wee hour southbound counterpart #416.