Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by usmcdevildog

I've never seen the Holiday Train and was planning to go see it this year. However, something came up for the time I had planned on seeing the train. Is the train worth all the hype? Should I go out and see it or should I just forget about it.

I should add that I'm not really a "railfan." I'm just interested in trains and just got an offer for employment from UP for train service.

Thanks Everyone!

by usmcdevildog

I guess no one has ever seen this train...

by DGAS

I saw it this year. The CP did a pretty good job, both with the train and public relations work with the food collection for local food banks.

by 2spot

Probably the best answer is to look at the pictures, like on RailroadForums and decide for yourself. Its a pretty nice gesture on CPs behalf to put it together and from what I've read most people who see it like it. But ultimately the choice is yours.

by Ken V

usmcdevildog wrote:I guess no one has ever seen this train...
You didn't ask who saw it, you asked: is it worth it? That question harder to answer since it is up to individual preferences.

Anyway, I visited the Holiday Train, parked in the station, two years in a row, several years ago. The people who were gathered, especially the kids, really enjoyed it. I liked being there too, but mostly remember how cold it was waiting for things to start. The train looked great decked out in all the festive decorations.

Last year I waited by the tracks between stations to watch it roll by. Again it was cold but still an enjoyable experience, although the train went by so quickly and it was over too soon. This year, I didn't bother but now wish I'd made the effort to go.

by usmcdevildog

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to go out and see it this year.