• Corridors and Exurbs

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 2nd trick op

IMHO, I don't think "exurban flight" is the polarized issue it was ten or fifteen years ago. Note that New Hampshire, which developed a reputation as an escape hatch for those seeking to escape Massachusetts' problems, swung back into the Democratic column this year.

I'll also note that I work in an emerging exurban area - Northeastern Pennsylvania. My shop is a young one, draws heavily from the Poconos, and has a considerably larger proportion of minority employees than the community itself. As with the military, we've worked hard at overcoming the streotypes which some believe to be fueling exurbanization.

Another point in favor of the development of "secondary corridors" is that simple access to them multiplies one's options. If I can get to the corridor, I can get anywhere from Portland to Norfolk in the event of a fuel squeeze.

The strongest opposition to expansion of a corridor to this area is likely to come from the established bus operators.