• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mikejf

p42thedowneaster wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Are they looking to trade 216 for another GP38?
No need to trade her...she just needs to be painted like NHN 1801 (Using Notch Colors, of course)!
Where did this even come from? Why would they even want to trade it?
  by Dick H

As a GP35, the 216 has a turbo, which the 252, as a GP38 does not. Some
shortlines, such as the Vermont Railway, have sold off some GP40s and added
GP38s to their roster, as turbos are supposedly expensive to maintain and
replace. However, I seem to remember some comments in the past, that
the turbo on the 216 does not cut in much, with the leisurely pace of the
CSRR trains. The 216 does have a high short nose, versus a low nose on the
252, but that would not seem to be a major factor, as both the 573 and 1751
have high short hoods. If, in fact, the CSRR wants another 38 to replace the
216, maybe it is not "playing well" with the 252.

I am not sure there is much of market for a GP35, whereas a well maintained
GP38 will cost big bucks,
  by MEC407

Another general issue with GP35s (not specific to 216) is that their electrical systems are more complex and more maintenance-intensive than those of the GP38. I have no idea whether or not that has been an issue for CSRR, though.

Depending on who did the work, it might be cheaper for CSRR to have the 216 de-turboed (what you're actually doing is replacing the turbo with a Roots blower) than to try to find a GP38 in decent condition, have it shipped up here, have it repainted, etc. Horsepower would drop to about 1800, but that's totally irrelevant with a low-speed operation like CSRR; tractive effort would remain basically the same. The end result would essentially be a GP28.
  by b&m 1566

Mikejf wrote:
p42thedowneaster wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Are they looking to trade 216 for another GP38?
No need to trade her...she just needs to be painted like NHN 1801 (Using Notch Colors, of course)!
Where did this even come from? Why would they even want to trade it?
Some side chatter I over heard a month or so ago, I only overheard parts of a conversation that was between three people. Nothing credible per say, just left me wondering if they were looking to replace 216.
  by p42thedowneaster

Oh well...the rumors keep it interesting!
From what I've heard and observed, the 216 is well loved...enough so to make the cover shot of the brochure.
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

Is 216 the one that was named for Kurt Ward or is that the other of the two notch train engines? If 216 is that engine I don't think they would get rid of it because of the times he had with them and that particular engine.
  by MEC407

No, that was 252.
  by b&m 1566

When 108 arrived on property in 1976(?), was it delivered by rail or on a flatbed truck? I know it went out on a flatbed truck in 1999.
  by Pat Fahey

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
Hi
Here is your answer on how the 108 came to North Conway, on (2) flatcars. Photo from Book Conway Scenic Railroad Story by D.W. Swift
Photo by Dwight Smith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MEC407

Based on the information in the most recent issue of Conway Scenic's Wheel Report newsletter, it appears that 216 will be staying put for at least the near future or perhaps longer:
The Wheel Report wrote:Some of you might be wondering where GP35 #216 is. #216 is currently in stall #2 of the roundhouse where she is receiving work on her low voltage wiring. The Achilles’ heel of these first and second generation EMDs is the wiring, and there are miles and miles of it. The wire that was used when these locomotives were built is beginning to fail. Specifically the insulation on the wires is failing. With age, the insulation gets brittle so that now, if you have to handle it for any reason, the insulation falls off the wire and you have bare wires. If one bare wire touches another bare wire while the locomotive is operating then unexpected things begin to happen. Some of those things you can live with, for a while, other things you can’t live with, like the potential for melt down and a possible fire. So the best practice is to replace the wire. #216 has already had a lot of her wiring renewed in the last few years, so this is a continuation of that project. The shop crew knows that we need the locomotive for the busy Fall season and I have been promised that I’ll have it, rewired, and ready to go to work.
In other motive power news:
The Wheel Report wrote:We have been operating long enough this season so that GP7 #573 has gone in for her first 92 day inspection. Everything looked pretty good this time around, so after getting new air and oil filters and undergoing a thorough topside & bottom side inspection, she is on the road again. Faithful GP9 #1751 pinch hit for #573 on the Valley Train.

Somebody was asking me about F7 #4266 the other day. Right now she is in stall #3 of the roundhouse and is ready to go to work any time the power desk needs her! That call will come for sure during our upcoming “DAY OUT WITH THOMAS” event which takes place very shortly now during the last two weekends (Fridays too) of July.
  by MEC407

Follow-up: I emailed Paul and he says there is NO truth to any rumors that they want to get rid of 216. He says it's been a great unit, that the turbo hasn't given them any trouble, and that the dynamic brakes work wonderfully.

The roar and whine of a turbocharged 16-567 will be reverberating through the north country for years to come! :-D
  by b&m 1566

Hey now, I wasn't starting any rumors, I was merely asking a question to help clarify my confusion. Over hearing people talking and being part of the conversation are two completely different things, for all I know is that they were talking about the rewiring of 216 (which apparently has been an ongoing project the last few years), or it just could have been someone's opinion.
Just for the record they weren't looking to get rid of the "sisters" either until Pan Am came calling, in fact 6516 was scheduled to be repainted that off season when.