• Conway Scenic 7470 status report?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eriemike

We have rode the 7470 through the Notch in 2000 and chased it again in 2001. Both times she handled the notch without diesel assist with a photo run buy at Wiley Brook Bridge. Both were unforgettable trips. The CSR F-Units tagged along as chase diesels incase of a problem, and there was one with hot driver bearings if I remember correctly. She made it to Crawford Depot, but we ended up taking the diesels to Fayban's then back. 7470 ran light back to N. Conway.

Steam is right, with a 0-6-0 it does have a tendency to bob and weave back and forth without a lead or trailing truck. A lot of wear and tear on both the drivers and especially the rail.

by mc367

With the restoration of the #7470 complete, has anyone heard if work will continue on the #501. What interest dose the Conway Scenic have in this?

-Justin

by eriemike

Since the 501 is owned by the 470 Club and not CSR, it is up to them to make a decision on that. Since it has been sitting in North Conway for 20 plus years, I wouldn't count on anything happening anytime soon.

by Steam

Heard from a reliable source that the 7470 is, in fact, being test-steamed today.

by b&m 1566

eriemike wrote:Since the 501 is owned by the 470 Club and not CSR, it is up to them to make a decision on that. Since it has been sitting in North Conway for 20 plus years, I wouldn't count on anything happening anytime soon.
Believe it or not the 501 had a boiler inspection (in 1997 I believe) and it passed. Not sure what else needs to be done with the 501 but a lot of the vital parts I’ve been told are being held in storage somewhere out of the elements. Word has it from CSRR employees that some of the work on the 501 would need to be re-done given that it hasn't been touched in nearly 10 years.

by eriemike

Would the new FRA boiler rules pertain to work done on a boiler almost ten years ago, but never used? Would those new rules mandate a reinspection or new modifications to the boiler to comply?

by eriemike

Just got an email from a friend of mine who watched 7470 make its first movement under steam this morning. Steam is back in the Mt. Washington Valley :-D

by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by RG479

What is the current status of 501? Even if it passed an FRA inspection in 1997 which I doubt, it needs a new one every 15 years , even if it wasn't fired. The new FRA Form 4 requires ultrasonic inspection and replacement of the flues. Right now many of the staybolts are missing and have for many years. None are drilled for telltales. I believe a thorough inspection by a qualified steam repair shop is required to just find out how much money is needed. This would include a new tender tank as the old one has rusted through. Remember its only money and the will to do something. In Colorado a number of engines long dead are being restored to run again. These include D&RGW 315,C&S 9 (now running on the Georgetown Loop), C&S 74 and now RGS 20 is being sent to Strasburg PA for restoration.
  by b&m 1566

RG479 wrote:What is the current status of 501? Even if it passed an FRA inspection in 1997 which I doubt, it needs a new one every 15 years , even if it wasn't fired.
The inspection indeed took place. It is in the MBRRE catalog from when they had there fan trips on the CSRR back in 97 and 98. If it wasn't inspected I don't know why they would say such a thing, do you? I've got the booklet from both fan trips that took place in 97 and 98. If you want I'll cite where in the booklet it mentions it.

by superwarp1

Does the 470 club have a website?
Last edited by superwarp1 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Meyblc

by H.F.Malone

It is well-known in the steam loco community that there was a good amount of, shall we say, "work" performed on 501, that will most likely have to be re-done. I would not look for that one to be under steam anytime soon (like in the next 2-3 years).

Not all doctors graduated first in their class at Medical School.

by greenus90

I'm going up there first thing Saturday morning, I hope to see at least a little movement from 7470. If anything else I can scout out chasing points for my trip up there all Railfan's weekend. This time instead ot commuting I am staying in Lincoln the whole weekend.
  by Agent at Clicquot

... and was told it's too soon to tell if 7470 will be on the road by 8/19/06. The woman on the phone suggested I call back on or about 8/16/06 for an update.

* JB *