Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Fred G

I've been visiting Branford, Guilford and Clinton sites because I'm nosy and a railfan. It appears the Branford has focused more on the parking where Guilford has done more on the building structure. Of course, Guilford is a more extensive project. Clinton is moving a bit slower, but still getting done.

Here are some photos I've been taking:

Branford http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/construction02
Guilford http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/construction
Clinton http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/construction01

by Otto Vondrak

Nice pictures! a far cry from what I remember at the start of service in 1990!

-otto-

by Fred G

Thanks. It does inspire some optimism, seeing improvements like this. Branford looks like it will have ample parking and hopefully the others follow suit. It's really hard to find a space under current conditions unless one takes the 2 early trains.

As for 1990, it did seem kind of a spartan and spooky situation, yes? Is this idea gonna fly?

by shadyjay

Cool pictures, Fred.

Looks like room for a third track at Guilford. Is that what's happening there? Will it be electrified?

Yes indeed, Otto, a far cry from 15 years ago. I remember taking SLE back when it first started, during its first few months of operations when it was free of charge. I rode from OSB to NHV and the stations were spartan, to say the least. Nice to see new stations being built - looks like SLE service isn't going anywhere, as it was threatened during the Rowland administration (surprised, anyone?).

-JH

by Fred G

Thanks, Jay. There is a siding going in there, but I don't know if it'll be electrfied or not. I live near OSB, and really enjoy making it part of a NYC trip. Less hassle getting to MN in New Haven and it's nice to get off the train on the return trip and only have to drive 10 minutes afterward.

by JayMan

Have they started on Madison yet?

by Fred G

JayMan wrote:Have they started on Madison yet?
No, I'm told that Madison is next, but still at town level. Westbrook will be the last, and I'm also told that the state wants to swap land with them so they can take over the Town of Westbrook public works area adjacent to the station. The advantage for the town is they get to build an entirely new DPW from the ground up, an enviable situation for any town. Keep your fingers crossed that this keeps up.
  by metroduff

Metro-North doesn't operate SLE (except for the portion of the run through trains' run that is in our territory).

Why isn't this in the New England discussion?

by DutchRailnut

Shore line east may be part of operating contract by Oct 1st as Amtrak is getting out of Commuter stuff.
The SLE shop will be run by MNCR and so can or will SLE operations..

by Otto Vondrak

Traditionally, we have always allowed SLE discussion on the MN forum... we've always considered it a "natural extension" of MN services. An SLE discussion would be lost in the New England forum. SLE topics are more closely related to MN, anyway.

by MN Jim

October 1 isn't going to happen - there's just too much that has to get done and that isn't enough time to do it all. January 1st is a possibility, and even that's tight. And just so there's no misunderstanding - CDOT has asked MTA for a proposal, and MTA hasn't yet responded with a proposal. There is no agreement on MNR taking over SLE as yet (MNR doesn't have legal authority to do it without an act of the legislature, which hasn't even been requested), so it should not be considered a done deal.

Jim

by boston774

Stupid question regarding SLE service: One issue that was raised in a disucssion thread about service north of Dover Plains is that it would effectively become intercity service - is this at all a factor?

Or am I, once again, imagining things.

BTW, the SLE service is great - trying to fight traffic on a Friday to the shore towns is a NIGHTMARE, and being able to hop on a train in Stamford makes life easy. And the crews are great, very cheerful and helpful. Hopefully, an MN takeover will lead to even more service, and maybe weekends!

On to Providence!!!

by Fred G

Do you mean 'intercity' as in SLE trains riding into GCT? I don't see that happening as it would require dual mode power to do so with the current arrangement. If new MN rolling stock would be able to use Amtrak's electricity east of New Haven, then it's more likely. Personally, I don't mind the 2 seat ride or even 3, if the train schedules are synchronized. That is, hop off one train and walk across the platform for the next.

by Swedish Meatball

Other than OSB, and New London how many of these stations have plans for High Level platforms on both tracks. I have only seen Clinton and it is on TK 2 only. This will not improve increased service if that is CDOTS intentions when the Q-Bridge finally gets worked on.

by JayMan

Swedish Meatball wrote:Other than OSB, and New London how many of these stations have plans for High Level platforms on both tracks. I have only seen Clinton and it is on TK 2 only. This will not improve increased service if that is CDOTS intentions when the Q-Bridge finally gets worked on.
The initial report, if that is still the plan, is to put high-level platforms on the south side of the tracks only, for now (Guildford being the exception). Eventually, full crossovers and high level platforms on both sides of the tracks should be built.

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df02032003.shtml
http://www.i95newhaven.com/improve_proj ... reline.asp (scroll down to Commuter Lines)