• Connection to Grand Central Terminal

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by orulz

Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I'm fascinated with railroad infrastructure in NYC, but I'm not from New York and I don't know too much about how things in the city are laid out, so please correct me if I make any mistakes.

I've read that MTA is currently building a connection from Long Island into Grand Central Terminal. This connection will extend from from the vicinity of Harold interlocking, in a tunnel under Sunnyside yard, through the (unused) lower level of the 63rd St. tunnel, down a new tunnel under Park Avenue, and into a new terminal directly underneath the current GCT.

At the same time, NJT is considering a new tunnel under the Hudson to Manhattan. At one point, one of the "alternatives" for this tunnel called for a connection through a new set of platforms beneath the current Penn station, and through a tunnel to new platforms beneath Grand Central. However, this alternative was scrapped in favor of one that terminates at Penn. It would have been difficult to construct and no doubt expensive, but one of the biggest reasons the idea was abandoned was that MTA was heavily opposed to the plan, since their connection involves new platforms beneath GCT as well.

My question as an outsider to the NYC area, why couldn't the organizations cooperate, and share the new facilities beneath both Penn and Grand Central? That would give NJT, LIRR, and MTN much better access to both stations, relieve congestion at Penn, and give the organizations the capability to run through trains onto each others' networks if that ever became necessary. It seems like a no brainer that this sort of connectivity should be the long term goal, but is there some sort of issue (related to politics or engineering) that makes cooperation between NJT and MTA unlikely?

by DutchRailnut

The LIRR East Side Acces project only fits LIRR MU carsdue to low tunnels.
If a tunnel were to be built to GCT for NJT were would the trains go as there is no room for catenary in gurrent GCT complex. so any new NJT tracks would become stub ended due to no power.

by krispy

Don't worry about it, Pataki's reluctance to add a new tax and therefore no more dooms to East Side Access and 2nd Ave subway another "12" years before work will resume. Shows also George's expectation for NYC2012 being a no-go...

by orulz

True, NJT couldn't operate out of Grand Central with their current equipment, but since this is a long-term project (10+ years) they could probably acquire some new equipment that can run on third-rail power. For example, Metro North's New Haven Line MU's are fitted with both pantographs and contact shoes, and they operate out of Grand Central so it's gotta be possible.
  by henry6

...I think NJT and METRO NORTH could run NYP to New Haven rather than 1) store NJT equipment at overcrowded Sunnyside or 2) deadhead equpment all the way back to Dover (@40 mi). It would help NJT by utilizing the equipment for revenue and help Metro North with additional service. For instance, do all Cannan Branch trains from NYP with NJT equpment or just run to Stamford. If dual power were available the same could be done for the LIRR, say to Port Washington or Jamaica.
If it weren't for politics the idea could get talked about!!!

by KFRG

Orulz,

The NH M.U.'s (M2,4,6) are equipped with 3rd rail shoes and Panto's so they can operate into GCT on 3rd rail. The NH M-cars would not be able to operate down the Hell Gate anyway as they cannot comply with the power change (What is it 25kv down the Hell-Gate)? Catenary ends just east of the Mt. Vernon West Station. NJT and the MTA are two different operating agency's with two different agendas. They were created to serve their cover region and tax payers only. Even inside the MTA, the MNCR and LIRR are two seperate (and unique) operations. The roadblocks of incompatibility which were created decades ago will not be cleared anytime soon.

-Tom
  by henry6

Thats what I said. Politics. Would never allow it to happen. Its a mind set.

The operational possiblity, however. is workable under my plan because NJT locomotives are 25v for Corridor operation and could go anywhere there is cat...even to Boston I guess!

by KFRG

And it's too bad NJT could care less about sending their trains anywhere east of Sunnyside.

by R142A

krispy wrote:Don't worry about it, Pataki's reluctance to add a new tax and therefore no more dooms to East Side Access and 2nd Ave subway another "12" years before work will resume. Shows also George's expectation for NYC2012 being a no-go...
Hopefully Pataki won't be around for much longer.