• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by Lincoln78

I seen cars at both the Co-op and Sanford and Hawley in Manchester in the last three to five months- maybe more recently.

Saw a 1913 rail in the Manchester yard. One of the sidings there has a tree that has completely overgrown a rail, even though the ties on that siding are in better shape than some I saw a few years ago on NECR in New London and Northfield, VT (since replaced).
  by CVRA7

Regarding switches such as Automated - I believe that the businesses served on the sidings have to pay a switch maintenance charge. It will be interesting to see what happens with the switch to the former track 6 (Berlin Industrial) now that Arkema has closed in Berlin. Arkema took covered hoppers until last summer. Off the old track 6 near "North Berlin" is the Sherry Cup spur. Sherry Cup had been bought out, then stripped of machinery and closed a few years ago and TigHitco, which occupied the building starting in 2007, doesn't use rail. The trackage remains in service so far and seems to be used as an interchange point between CSOR and PAS. A few weeks ago there were at least 15 cars up there using both tracks.
  by bwparker1

Lincoln78 wrote:I seen cars at both the Co-op and Sanford and Hawley in Manchester in the last three to five months- maybe more recently.

Saw a 1913 rail in the Manchester yard. One of the sidings there has a tree that has completely overgrown a rail, even though the ties on that siding are in better shape than some I saw a few years ago on NECR in New London and Northfield, VT (since replaced).
FWIW, the ramp at Sanford and Hawley has been out of service for quite some time. If they get anything anymore, my understanding is that they use the brick dealers unloading ramp.
  by Larry

I was again in Manchester CT at my local Agway to purchase some items and ended up speaking to Joe and Jamie, managers of the place. I asked them if they ever thought of getting supplies by rail which goes by their back door and they both said they did not think it was possible. They were never approached by the railroad to see if it would be possible. I stated awhile back, where is the marketing for these railroads? Here is a company that would probably use the service if offered. They just didn't know who to call. I told them G&W now runs the line but I would think it would be nice if G&W would come knocking on their door. Anybody at G&W out there listening?
  by bwparker1

I'm sure that G&W figures/figured it would not be cost effective. That is not a particularly big Agway, what do you think they could receive by rail that would make sense? There used to be a spur that dropped down and crossed Adams street years ago, you can see it when you look behind Manchester Honda. The tracks are long gone, but there is a chain-link fence that controlled access up and down from the Manchester secondary line.
  by bwparker1

Here is a photo of the ROW that the old spur took down the grade to reach the Agway location...

and you can see the old spur in this aerial image.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q= ... tile&fid=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Larry

This Agway is very good a selling Bird Seed buy the tons. They also sell lots of fertilizer in the summer and with rail I would think they could get better pricing. I also say BJ's should get gasoline because there is a truck there everyday unloading and they also could sell a ton of tires for cars and trucks. I know these items could get shipped by rail. I know it is a shot in the dark but if you don't go knocking at their doors you will never know.
  by Jedijk88

Local Agway stores are supplied by a distribution warehouse in Westfield MA which is served by the Pioneer Valley railroad. Bird Seed actually arrives there in boxcars and then distributed by truck.
  by bwparker1

Jedijk88 wrote:Local Agway stores are supplied by a distribution warehouse in Westfield MA which is served by the Pioneer Valley railroad. Bird Seed actually arrives there in boxcars and then distributed by truck.
Makes perfect sense. Same logic applied with the Home Depot Warehouse in Bloomfield, CT. Served by rail, but then each store gets truckload deliveries... It is just the way it is these days, the days of single car-load deliveries are fairly rare, unless you are in business that takes heavy loads in or out, such as brick or covered hoppers of some type.
  by RagsCo4

Haven't seen the train running south on its normal time through Meriden, is something up i barely even hear it anymore are they slow?
  by RagsCo4

Just saw a North bound CSOR heading through Meriden with 8 cars on it. First daytime run I've seen in a very long time. Anyone know what's up?
  by xtcbct

BWParker1, There was never a siding that crossed Adams street at grade. Depot Road has been there for years and would be in the way of any railroad tracks there. The siding that you are speaking of was behind Manchester Honda, it was a siding that stopped before Adams Street and it used to be some sort of dump track. It was high off the ground, and I remember seeing a space beneath the track where trucks could load material. It looked like hopper cars could drop materials. Not sure if it was stone, or coal. Maybe the quarry company on the other side of the tracks utilized it at one point. But I remember seeing it in the late 90's and it was out of service then.

By the way, the brick building behind BJ's that is east if the old Buckland Station used to be a power house for local trolley service. The South Manchester Light Power & Tramway Company and the Hartford, Manchester, & Rockvile Tramway Company both serviced Manchester until 1929 with South Manchester service lasting until 1939.

From 1908 to 1924, there was trolley wire strung over the line down to Manchester Depot (not Buckland) and trolley used the tracks as well.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I know this is CSOR discussion. But I wanted to share that interesting information about this specific area in question.
  by CVRA7

I saw the rare daylight CSO train as well, at Berlin. I don't know for sure but there must have been some trouble the previous evening that delayed the train making a re-crew necessary.
  by bwparker1

xtcbct wrote:BWParker1, There was never a siding that crossed Adams street at grade. Depot Road has been there for years and would be in the way of any railroad tracks there. The siding that you are speaking of was behind Manchester Honda, it was a siding that stopped before Adams Street and it used to be some sort of dump track. It was high off the ground, and I remember seeing a space beneath the track where trucks could load material. It looked like hopper cars could drop materials. Not sure if it was stone, or coal. Maybe the quarry company on the other side of the tracks utilized it at one point. But I remember seeing it in the late 90's and it was out of service then.

By the way, the brick building behind BJ's that is east if the old Buckland Station used to be a power house for local trolley service. The South Manchester Light Power & Tramway Company and the Hartford, Manchester, & Rockvile Tramway Company both serviced Manchester until 1929 with South Manchester service lasting until 1939.

From 1908 to 1924, there was trolley wire strung over the line down to Manchester Depot (not Buckland) and trolley used the tracks as well.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I know this is CSOR discussion. But I wanted to share that interesting information about this specific area in question.
Thanks for the clarification.
  by necr3849

Until 2007, I worked out of Heritage Kitchen & Bath down on Broad Street. Could often hear the CSO-5 symbol spotting Sanford & Hawley and the Farmer's Co-op. I remember the small Agway that was there in the Conrail era. Opposite side of the tracks and a little bit before reaching the modern S&H. I'd guess the white building is still there. S&H used to have their own siding full plus using the brickyard as well. I recall getting a black high-hood B23 doing this very job, and I have the slides to prove it thankfully! I've been in ME for years now, and haven't shot the Manchester Secondary lately. Haven't even seen what still exists there. You guys are making it sound like the line is dormant now. Can anyone clarify?