• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by lexon

EDFLD Bill wrote:This is the Interlocking behind National Grid's King Street Substation & McDonalds... The north end of the double track.
I bike that spot a lot on the rail trail. Looks like they are clearing the area for the tunnel. Just a guess.

Rich
  by Arlington

lexon wrote:I bike that spot a lot on the rail trail. Looks like they are clearing the area for the tunnel. Just a guess.
Rich
That seems a good guess for behind the King St McDonalds: The long-delayed underpass tunnel for the Norwottuck Trail.
Friom a Summer 2015 Trail newsletter:
After many years of no train service, Amtrak returned
to Northampton this past December. The temporary station
is installed and working and the permanent station
is on track to open in 2016. As part of this project the
long-awaited tunnel will connect the two sides of the
trail network in Northampton.
Until the underpass is opened, all trail users should
travel on the officially designated road connection instead
of illegally crossing the tracks. This is important
because the trains will be traveling much faster than in
previous years. The rail upgrade project contractors will
be adding new fences to deter trespassing. The official
road detour (on Market Street to North Street) is wellsignposted
and needs to be the default for all users to
ensure safe crossings. While the delay for this tunnel
is unfortunate, many trail users are finding their way
on the detour and exploring our wonderful network of
trails
  by BenH

Work on the underpass in Northampton started a few weeks ago, with the clearing of trees and other vegetation. The MBTA issues a Notice to Proceed on June 2, 2016. The projected completion date (at the moment) is October 25, 2017.

Further details, including a civil general plan of the site, can be found on this TrainsInTheValley.org webpage:
https://trainsinthevalley.org/northampton-underpass/
Last edited by BenH on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by lexon

Some time ago, someone cut the fence behind Walgreen's and placed a couple pallets on the opposite side for walkers. I have seen many crossing on foot, usually mother's with kids and teens, and occasionally carrying a bike. I bike the street across from D&D.

L
  by MEC407

Video by Chessicat97:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2aOqWk7Vc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by johnpbarlow

NECR and PAS lawyers are still duking it out over discovery: NECR lawyers are saying PAS hasn't produced all requested docs and info while PAS lawyers say too much irrelevant info has been requested. I skimmed through the latest 83 page STB submittal filed by NECR lawyers to see what nuggets there might be and in general it was pretty tedious stuff.

Here's the filing for any insomniacs out there...

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 241964.pdf

One tidbit that was sorta interesting is that PAS revealed how much they spent on average annually on fuel to provide service over the track rights mileage:
Per John Morris of PAS's Mechanical Department, PAS's locomotives burn on the average 3.5 Gallons per hour [editor's note: the following calcs make sense if he meant 3.5 gallons per mile]. PAS
generally uses two units per day over the NECR trackage rights, so the math would work as follows: 3.5 x 2 x 145.6 miles= 1,019.2 Gallons. 1,019.2 x $2.50 = $2,548 per day. $2,548 x 5 x 52 = $662,480 annual fuel expense. The total trackage rights are 72.8 miles. A round trip is 145.6 miles. PAS' s fuel price at E. Deerfield today is $1.80 per gallon, but historically has been much higher. Thus, Mr. Morris used $2.50 per gallon because PAS' s fuel surcharge tariff is designed to recover any amount over $2.50 per gallon.
Also PAS says in their reply to NECR that the only haulage traffic that PAS operates for another RR is NS oriented traffic. Wasn't there some supposition that PAS was toting WACR/VRS haulage traffic between WRJ and Bellows Falls and that was business that NECR thought PAS was not supposed to haul per the trackage rights agreement?
  by newpylong

It never worked out because of this STB business. As far as I am aware there is nothing in any agreement preventing it either.
  by lexon

They are digging now. Just saw a couple photos from a Facebook friend who rides that area also.
I thought of riding up there but threat of rain.

Rich
  by lexon

lexon wrote:They are digging now. Just saw a couple photos from a Facebook friend who rides that area also.
I thought of riding up there but threat of rain.

Rich
Forgot to mention, steel to support the roadbed for the rail trail tunnel is being installed.
The trail from Hadley direction will lead about directly into the tunnel.
When I first posted, nothing being done behind KFC at the time.

Rich
  by jaymac

Anthony King's shot of the black-lined CSXs -- http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=234666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- shows bundled tie-stacks tagged "MADOT," almost reminiscent of Tie City during the Knowledge Corridor build. A quick check of the MassDOT Transit site didn't show anything new, and there seem to be too many for the rail trail tunnel. Anyone know what's going on?
  by gokeefe

jaymac wrote:Anyone know what's going on?
I saw those too but figured the "more frequent and more local observers" would know ...

Is there still project work to be done in North Adams, MA?
  by EDFLD Bill

jaymac wrote:Anthony King's shot of the black-lined CSXs -- http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=234666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- shows bundled tie-stacks tagged "MADOT," almost reminiscent of Tie City during the Knowledge Corridor build. A quick check of the MassDOT Transit site didn't show anything new, and there seem to be too many for the rail trail tunnel. Anyone know what's going on?
Those ties, along with others staged to the south, are for the upcoming tie replacement project scheduled for this summer. This project will replace more of the old ties not changed out during the upgrade work of 2012-2014...
  by jaymac

EDFLD Bill-
Thanks!
  by Arlington

EDFLD Bill wrote:Those ties, along with others staged to the south, are for the upcoming tie replacement project scheduled for this summer. This project will replace more of the old ties not changed out during the upgrade work of 2012-2014...
Sounds like this is what delivers the final class/speed increase on the original track. Any idea of the typical speed increase?

Incidentally, is there an easy place to see the whole timetable for this project?