• ConnDOT FL9: New Serif in Town?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by ExCon90

On page 23 of the May Railfan & Railroad there is a photo of the FL9 that went to Spencer. On the logo on the side of the unit there is no serif at the bottom-right corner of the N; on the front of the unit, there it is. I seem to remember seeing both versions at one time or another, perhaps on different equipment (or on timetables?). Was that serif added at some point, or was it there originally and later removed, perhaps as an economy measure? Can anyone enlighten us on this Matter?
  by DutchRailnut

the 2019 is as delivered by EMD, front logo with serif side logo's sans serif.
several pictures including builders foto's in J.W. Swanberg's book power of the New Haven confirms it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by chnhrr

I was in Orange Virginia this Memorial Day weekend and was briefly at the station to watch some of Norfolk Southern and Amtrak traffic. I saw a NS SD-40 unit approach the station and was heading south with what I expected to be a local freight. To my astonishment an Erie E unit, a Pan Am Railway F unit and a New Haven FL-9 were in tow. I’m a little slow with the smart phone so I didn’t get a shot. I've learned subsequently that these locos were headed to the North Carolina Transportation Museum’s event ‘Streamliners at Spencer’

The units in tow were as follows
Erie E8 No. 833
Pan Am Railway No. 1
New Haven No. 2019

http://www.nctrans.org/Streamliners-At- ... ed-to.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ExCon90

DutchRailnut wrote:the 2019 is as delivered by EMD, front logo with serif side logo's sans serif.
several pictures including builders foto's in J.W. Swanberg's book power of the New Haven confirms it
There it is, large as life. Now, does anyone know why it was done that way?
  by DutchRailnut

Look at New Haven PA's, FA's, GP's , U23b etc both front and side had missing serif, I think adding serif on front of FL-9's was a mistake but carried on all of them.
as can be verified in book Diesels to Park Avenue ISBN 9656304-0-04
  by H.F.Malone

NH 2019 was carefully restored by RMNE to the 1985 Chrome Locomotive rebuild appearance.

The research done by RMNE on the project turned up a photocopy of the 1956-57 EMD "Styling & Painting Diagram" for the two FL9 orders, dating from and used in the 1985 rebuild/repaint work. It clearly shows the Herbert Matter "NH" emblems ("monogram" in EMD terms) as having no lower right serif on the "N", as designed by Matter. At the Spencer event, the RMNE crew was given an original "blueline" print right from EMD's files, with penciled notations about various things, but nothing about the added lower serif.

The best available information is that the EMD painters somehow took it upon themselves to add that lower serif to the nose monogram on the FL9s, and that "mistake" has simply been perpetuated ever since, through all subsequent repaints. The GP9s also had that same lower serif added on the large hood side monogram.
  by ExCon90

That seems to nail it down. Thanks for checking all that.