• Confirming suspicions about NYAR?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by mirrodie

I used to be more active on this forum some years ago until a huge server crash left me uninterested for a while. Coming back into the hobby slightly and I was reading back on topics in this particular forum when I came across the following remark:

"In the RR.net heyday, many employees posted. Management knew about the practice but appeared unconcerned... until around the time NYA was involved in moving cocaine in tank cars. Board discussions on this subject were embarassing to the company, and the word was put out informally (hinted, not in writing) to clam up or else. One member of the management team (the one who posted prodigiously!) mentioned possible procecution to me. (Of course, that would be a really thin case, but thin cases cost money to defend too... and threats of this kind have an extra weight when they come from your employer)."

1. Was there ever a story about cocaine in freight cars on the LIRR?

2. Is the NYA generally anti-train hobby? Or not? I got the impression that employees don't care for hobbyists but now think I've developed a deeper understanding that its more about the head company putting the kibash on what employees do outside and off the rails.
  by Mr rt

The NY Cross Harbor, at it's end, was more anti-railfan then the NY & Atl.
e.g. I got myself on two trips down the Bayridge line in a NY&Atl passenger coach, this was a few years ago.
e.g. officially you aren't allowed in the Fresh Pond yard, but there is no longer a guard at the gate.

Like the MTA, the NY & Atl tollerates railsfans, both within & outside the company ....
however the employees have to be a bit careful about what they say.

Most companies have public affais staff that makes official statements to the public.

Lets give two examples:
- a de-railment (details, cause, etc.), employees should avoid discussing it period !
- plans (track extensions for new customers, or abandoments), employees need to be careful here
  by Otto Vondrak

mirrodie wrote: Is the NYA generally anti-train hobby? Or not? I got the impression that employees don't care for hobbyists but now think I've developed a deeper understanding that its more about the head company putting the kibash on what employees do outside and off the rails.
It is a business and will be operated as the owners see fit. Whether or not they tolerate railfans is really a non-issue. Most, if not all railroads have a statement in the rulebook that says something to the effect that company business is not to be communicated to non-employees (unless through an authorized spokesperson to the press). There is no rhyme or reason as to how employees chose to comply and how management decides to enforce this policy.

=-otto-