• Conductor hiring session - CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by COEN77

Proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar isn't a necessary requirement for becoming a conductor. It would be for a clerk, train dispatcher, yardmaster because they do enter logs in the computers. The bigger issue is reading comprehension for conductor and later to become an engineer. People shouldn't be so critical of others. Back in the '70s & '80s I worked with some of the best brakemen who didn't know how to read or write but they could switch out an industry better than most. Times have changed the brakemen are gone now it's just an engineer and conductor onboard trains.
  by frikentrainnerd

MikeJ wrote:
frikentrainnerd wrote:What, You got a problem with my spelling?
Nope, but someone looking to hire you might have a problem with the bad spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Nice to know your keeping a list of my mistakes
  by MikeJ

frikentrainnerd wrote: Nice to know your keeping a list of my mistakes

I'm not. Just pointing out that if you are looking for employment, you want to represent yourself in the best way possible.
  by bradvols

MikeJ wrote:I'm not. Just pointing out that if you are looking for employment, you want to represent yourself in the best way possible.
True. Job market is so tight and so many applicants for every open position. Can never tell when a misspelled word or grammatical error might be the difference in getting an interview or not. Fair? Not really but just another tool that HR can use.
  by Night Owl

bradvols wrote:
MikeJ wrote:I'm not. Just pointing out that if you are looking for employment, you want to represent yourself in the best way possible.
True. Job market is so tight and so many applicants for every open position. Can never tell when a misspelled word or grammatical error might be the difference in getting an interview or not. Fair? Not really but just another tool that HR can use.

I agree, ...especially with computers parsing so many applications before they see human eyes. you need every edge you can get !
  by dirtydave

harley026 wrote:Hi all, I am new to this forum and just had a quick question. I was invited to a CSX conductor hiring session this morning. I showed up about 30 minutes early. The recruiter came in and talked awhile and then sent us to another room to test since they scheduled 2 hiring sessions for the same day at the same time. Anyway, we took the industrial reading test and 12 out of 15 of us passed and got an interview. I was a bit nervous, but i still think the interview went well. Anyway, i was the only 1 there who scored a perfect score on the reading test. My question is, will that help me at all? Or does it just matter that you passed?
I was told your position in the hiring pool is based on points. The test scores do count towards these points, so does work experience, and the "score" they gave you when interviewed.