• Compatibility of C1 cars with Newer Cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JoeG

On the Main/Bergen/PJ line, I never see the old Comet 1 cars in the same train with the new C5 cars or the newer renovated ones (I assume they are C3's and C4's, though I 'm not sure which of the renovated cars is which, and I also don't know what C2 cars look like. I do know the ones that look like Arrows and which I assume are 1B's.)
I'd like to know if the C1's are incompatible with the new and renovated cars, or if they are kept separate for other reasons.

by Jtgshu

As far as I know, the main reason why the C1 and comaros are kept seperate is that they are only tread braking cars, where the only brake is the shoe that pushes against the wheel, while the rebuilt C2's and 3,4 and 5's are all disc brake equipped, meaning that there are two big disc brakes in addition to the tread brakes.

I would assume they could run together, but it would be a hell of a bumpy ride.

The C2's are the cars with no center doors, that look like a C4, wiht the wide black window strip and the destination sign. The C3's have center doors, but have a narrow black window stripe, while the C4''s have the wide black window stripe, center doors, and the destiination sign. C5's are the stainless steel cars with the big windows, and a multicolor blended stripe at the bottom of the car, going the lenght of the car.

by JoeG

Thanks, JT. Which ones have the pink interior decor?

by AKelley728

JoeG wrote:Thanks, JT. Which ones have the pink interior decor?
The C4s and rebuilt C2s have the 'Barbie' interior (blue seats/pink white walls).

by ryanov

Don't the 3's have tread brakes too?

by nick11a

ryanov wrote:Don't the 3's have tread brakes too?
No, I don't think so, but I think that they have a different braking system than the Comet IVs, IIMs and Vs IIRC.

Also, there have been many debates whether or not the CIBs are compatible with the newer equipment (doors, brakes etc.) The general consensus was no. But the CIs definitely aren't compatible. As Jt said, these cars could be run together, but it would be a bumpy ride. Plus, the difference ind the door controls would require opening doors locally only. I wonder what would happen if you opened forard low from a C5? How would a Comet I react? Anyway, there's no telling what would happen with a mixed set of all of the Comets and opening all the doors at once. It would be a mess.

And while I'm at it (yes, Jt, I know you don't want to hear this one again, but I'm gonna say it.) Back in Janurary of 2003, on the 8:02 PM Dover train from NY Penn, the train had a Comet IB in the set of a new equipment train. There was a big snow storm that day. My theory is that they mistakenly put the coach in the set and sent it out. The crew just individually disabled the door motors and locked the doors in that coach so as they wouldn't open.

by Irish Chieftain

C1s and unrebuilt CIIs used to run together during the 80s at least...the first instance of which that I saw being the C1 snack cars on NJCL trains running from New York Penn to Bay Head (amazing how that age-old "Midtown Direct" was allowed to perish...)

by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:C1s and unrebuilt CIIs used to run together during the 80s at least...the first instance of which that I saw being the C1 snack cars on NJCL trains running from New York Penn to Bay Head (amazing how that age-old "Midtown Direct" was allowed to perish...)
Yeah, it is amazing. Well, these cars would work together no problem. The main difference (besides cosmetics) in the operation of the cars is the location of the door panel. It is different from unrebuilt IIs and IIBs from low level Comet Is and different from high C1s.

Even back in June, I caught a three car diesel train with a midtrain MN IIB cab, a MN Comet IIS and NJT Comet I cab 5127.

by TR-00

Comet III's do have tread and disk brakes.

by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:Comet III's do have tread and disk brakes.
There you have it from the horse's head.

by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:
TR-00 wrote:Comet III's do have tread and disk brakes.
There you have it from the horse's head.
OH MAN, I so don't wanna go there, but its set up SOOO PERFECTLY......

U back from vacation yet TR and terrorizing the Hammonton locals with your horn blowing??? :-D

by TR-00

Vacation started one half hour ago and runs until next Monday. BTW, the Hammonton Wal~Mart has completly sold out of ear plugs. :P