• Commuter Rail to Rhode Island Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by juni0r75

mental757 wrote: I agree that Kingston is a no-brainer - there is room for a 3rd track on the west side of the 2 Amtrak mainlines that could accomodate CR.
When I was a student about 10 years ago at URI Kingston, I was very interested in the station there because it was (in the words of the local stationmaster) the last rural station of the pre-NH type that was in use on the former Providence and Stonington Railway (built in 1874...I think its been a loooonngg time).

Anyway, the point I wanted to raise is that when the overpass for RI 138 was built in 1936-8, it was purposly built to bridge 3 and possibly 4 tracks. At that time, there were active sidings in regular use for Arnold Lumber on the Fairground Road side (opposite the station) and for a layover / transfer for the former Narragansett Pier RR which terminated there and ran via Wakefield to Narr. Pier village (as an aside, the tracks for the NPRR terminated in what is now the parking lot with for a time it's own plaforms.The last time I was there, the hole which held the former turntable was still visable with an explanation sign!). Before the post-war decline in the NH, there were three tracks in regular use at Kingston.
After the station restoration, there were three tracks under the overpass, and one access road to the station (which means that you don't have to cross traffic on 138 to get into the station!).

When the cantiary was installed in the 90's across the farmland north of the 138 overpass, it was put up using gantries which gives enough clearance for the sidings (which were still in limited use then) to connect to the mainline. It also continues on gantries for another half mile or so south of the station to allow for the potential third track to rejoin the mainline.

I remember speaking with the stationmaster about the possibility of CR service via the MBTA and he said that when the station was restored (after a devestating fire in the mid 80's), the station was moved back to fit the Acella service, cantiary gantries and make room for a planned footbridge to the southbound (rail downline I think) side which as he said was necessary for the Acella and also for CR. Also, the parking lot that was built was specifically intended for commuter service and its funding came from a different federal program than the funds to restore the station and move it back from the trackside.

The long and shot of it is that the station's restoration and configuration of the electrification means that there is no reason why a third platform couldn't be built there to enable a CR train to stop and allow the higher speed regional services to pass and/or an MBTA train to be stabled overnight for a morning run or turmback.

by mental757

they built a very nice pedestrian overpass to the west side track. As you described, they could easily add a 3rd line just west of that for CR...

by juni0r75

mental757 wrote:they built a very nice pedestrian overpass to the west side track. As you described, they could easily add a 3rd line just west of that for CR...
I remember from my times down there speaking to the station master in Kingston that the overpass was necessitated specifically because they could no longer allow pedestrians to cross the line at grade with the Acela trains. I remember before electrification that you could walk right across the tracks there on track boards. After electrification, they put the fence up with a gate that the conductor would unlock to let people across. Then this was stopped due to saftey (the Kingston area being one of the few places on the NEC that Acela can do its top speed) so Amtrak had to fund a shuttle bus that ran from the station, over the 138 bridge and along an easement to the western platform!

-A

by Ron Newman

I remember riding that silly shuttle bus, and am glad it's no longer necessary.
  by Veristek

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before.

What tracks does the MBTA own? The articles say that the MBTA needs to rent out the tracks from Amtrak for the intermodal station. Hence my question, how much of the NEC does MBTA own? Or does Amtrak own it all and MBTA rents the NEC tracks for all of its Southside routes that uses part of the NEC (Providence, Stoughton, Needham, Franklin, and Worchester routes)?
  by octr202

Massachusetts only owns up to the RI Line. Amtrak owns the Shore Line from New Haven to the RI/MA line.
  by jonnhrr

Veristek wrote:I'm not sure if this question has been asked before.

What tracks does the MBTA own? The articles say that the MBTA needs to rent out the tracks from Amtrak for the intermodal station. Hence my question, how much of the NEC does MBTA own? Or does Amtrak own it all and MBTA rents the NEC tracks for all of its Southside routes that uses part of the NEC (Providence, Stoughton, Needham, Franklin, and Worchester routes)?
I believe the T only owns the line as far as the RI border. From there South it is owned by Amtrak.

Jon
  by mental757

There is a 3rd set of tracks that runs from the junction in Pawtucket/Central Falls, RI (I think its called the Boston switch??), litterally a few hundred yards from the RI/MA line, that parallels the NEC down to Wickford Junction (that track then continues all the way to the piers at Port of Quonset). This line is owned by the State of RI (99% sure) and is used by P&W. There has been talk of using this line for the MBTA service in RI. This line will be used at the 2 new RI stations to keep the NEC for AMTRAK while MBTA trains are at the stations. The agreement still being finalized is for track use rights on and off the NEC at the Providence station, TF Green Airport station and the Wickford station (as far as what I've heard anyway...).
  by Rockingham Racer

Re-activating Pawtucket-Central Falls has been discussed. Are there any updates on doing that?
  by jonnhrr

Rockingham Racer wrote:Re-activating Pawtucket-Central Falls has been discussed. Are there any updates on doing that?
The last I heard was an effort to partly demolish the historic station buulding to build a CVS. This effort was stopped and the developer agreed to change the plan so that the station would remain intact.

However I don't think it is high on either MBTA or RIDOT's priority list. RIDOT is more concerned with the Warwick / TF Green extension.

Jon
  by mental757

A report was produced by some consultants that it would be cheaper and easier to construct a new station slightly north (on a straigh-a-way) of the exisiting (former) Pawtucket station. With RI's lack of money and a focus on the Airport & Wickford MBTA extension, I think the Pawtucket stop will be several more years away.
  by mental757

Noticable/physical construction is underway. Foundation work is starting to take place and they have cleared the last of the trees that were in the way.

Notice has also been given that parts of the short-term lot in front of the airport will be closed off tomorrow (9/17/08) for work on the skywalk connector between the terminal and the intermodal facility.