• Commuter Rail service between Baltimore and Carrol County.

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by scratchyX1

I saw a mention of MTA doing a study of commuter service on the former Western Maryland to Westminster , in the 90s, but there's no reference on their site.
Does anyone have any recollection of there being any studies?
  by STrRedWolf

I haven't heard of this. I would imagine it being commuter bus service and not rail service, though... Through my experience with MARC and MTA, it would take a lot of political will (a la Governor William Donald Shaefer) to get it done.

No commuter bus up there exists (local county transit only). There is rail service... let me trace that...

Rail would of connected at the B&P tunnel if the track still existed. Track moves around to Westport, and would require a reverse move onto CSX track to get into Camden Yards MARC... It is Maryland Midland Railway track until it hits Reisterstown, then it's CSX track.
  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:24 pm I haven't heard of this. I would imagine it being commuter bus service and not rail service, though... Through my experience with MARC and MTA, it would take a lot of political will (a la Governor William Donald Shaefer) to get it done.

No commuter bus up there exists (local county transit only). There is rail service... let me trace that...

Rail would of connected at the B&P tunnel if the track still existed. Track moves around to Westport, and would require a reverse move onto CSX track to get into Camden Yards MARC... It is Maryland Midland Railway track until it hits Reisterstown, then it's CSX track.
This is where I saw the reference, It looks like MARC service connecting to the B&P Tunnels, after putting Fulton Junction back in.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/bnp1.htm#top
Bringing the tracks ups to even up to Class 3 speeds, not too mention resignalling (I imagine it's little enough traffic that freight could be time separated), and having to put platforms back would likely make it not cost effective.
Plus, Carroll county residents have their own "thoughts" on anything connecting them to the city.(nevermind there is these things called cars and roads that connect them)