• Collision at Bow Island, Alberta

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by lock4244

Two CP trains collided at Bow Island, Alberta Sunday, April 22, 2007. This is all I could find on it (from the Medicine Hat News):

http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5416.php
Collision derails CPR trains
Two freight trains collided near Bow Island in the early hours of Sunday morning.
A Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) spokesperson says no one was injured and the two locomotives suffered only minor damage after skidding off the tracks approximately one kilometre west of Bow Island, near Highway No. 3....
Luckily, they've reported no injuries. What what I've gathered on the CPRyahoo list, looks like a rear-end collision. One of the trains was a #375.

Power involved was 8644-8814-9730. Seems 8644 and 8814 were powering 375 with 8578 as a possible DPU. 9730 was on the other train (may have been a rear DPU unit). 8644 has had the radiator section sheared off the frame, appears to be very heavily damaged (retirement candidate?). 8814 has a large gash torn out of the conductors side of the cab and the handrails are missing from that side as well as well. 9730 is damaged, but it doesn't look that bad. Love how CP states only minor damage on two units... I've seen pictures from the scene, 8644 has suffered VERY heavy damage, 8814 heavy damage.

Moderator's note: Post edited to remove entire copyrighted article. Use the link provided by the author to read it from the source. [Ken V]

by Dieter

Here's the proverbial motherlode of pictures from that train wreck;

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/railwayph ... GBMG6jH6mK

D/

by lock4244

Thanks for the pic's.

Any idea on the fate of those units? 8814 looks salvagable. Any word on the other two?

by Dieter

Any news about what the cause of the accident was?