• Coke Works / Monsanto

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by B&M Signal 555

Hi, im looking on information abouth what type of locomotives were used by the Eastern gas and Foundry Co/New England Coke Works at Everett Jct. I understand that in the early '50's they had several switchers to work the works so to speak. Also any info on the Monsanto "fireless" switchers used in thier Everett Plant and also diesels used in later days. Thank You.

by truman

EG&F had their own power since before WW1, and one still exists, the six wheel switch engine on display at the Gorham NH station was built specifically for them, I think in 1911. The CN lettering it now wears is just a disguise.
If memory serves, they also acquired some second hand steamers from the B&M, I could try to look it up. Not sure where you might find a complete roster, try one of the local historical groups.

by TomNelligan

I don't have an EG&F roster, but at the end of steam operations (circa 1958) they had a few 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s and the former were of B&M and Portland Terminal origin. BTW, it was Eastern Gas & Fuel, not Foundry.

by B&M Signal 555

Thanks for the info.

by doublebell

Russ Munroe's Book, Trackside Around Massachusetts, 1950-1970 has several pictures of E.G. & F. locomotives. I have info on several of them:

#3 0-6-0
#9 0-8-0
#10 0-6-0 ex B&M 415
#12 0-6-0 ex Portland Terminal and B&M 834

John Collins , the guy in the white car with the wing on back

by truman

The 415 was a G-11 class switcher, identical to the one on display in Lowell today. (#410)
The 834 was a G-11c, very similar to the 415, the most noticable differences being it had piston valves and a square back tender, unlike the sloped back tender of the G-11 class.
Per Harry Frye's Minuteman Steam.
  by monever

I worked for Monsanto for 20 years. The fireless switchers were gone by the time I got hired but they had two of them. The old timers said they had one for each side of the plant, they would fill them with steam and they would run all day. They had a pattern shop that made all the parts for the two switchers and the patterns were still in a warehouse until the place closed. They started charging to much to spot a tank car so Monsanto bought one of the yellow switchers with the wheels so you could drive on the road and lower the track wheels when on the tracks, can't recall the name of it now. At that time it was $250 a car to spot a car so it really started to add up they had us doing it all day and at night would get called in to move cars around when they got filled. I liked to drive didn't like to be the break man.

Sorry the reply took so long but just found this site.

Re:

by IvyBlue

doublebell wrote:Russ Munroe's Book, Trackside Around Massachusetts, 1950-1970 has several pictures of E.G. & F. locomotives. I have info on several of them:

#3 0-6-0
#9 0-8-0
#10 0-6-0 ex B&M 415
#12 0-6-0 ex Portland Terminal and B&M 834

John Collins , the guy in the white car with the wing on back
to "doublebell" : My grandfather was the principle engineer of the #9 0-8-0 at Eastern Gas until his retirement in 1957. I recently came across a photo of him at work operating this engine by Alan Wiswall and will be meeting Mr Wiswall soon to see about some prints and any other information he might have. In the above post you say that you also have some further information on this engine, it is my understanding that it is in Gorham, NH awaiting restoration. railroad.net is not allowing me to private message you at this point and I would love the opportunity to speak to you about this engine and what might be contained in Mr Munroe's book concerning it. That is before I shell out $63 to see for myself, I am His grandson and Him never having spent a frivolous nickel in his life I do tend to take after him. Thanks in advance, Peter.