• CofNO trip - booked

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

Backshophoss wrote:#3+#4 normally have a Baggage car on the head end,sometimes deadheading equipment as well.
Not suprized #58+#59 use a Coach/Baggage.
The CIty and Eagle use the same train sets generally, and neither use a baggage car. The main sleepers (transition and regular) on the City and Eagle are usually located immediately behind the locomotive. On the three days per week the Eagle has cars switching onto the Sunset in San Antonio, an extra coach and sleeper are attached aft. It's those two aft cars that are switched heading for L.A., the rest of the Eagle returns to Chicago the next morning.
On the few trips I've taken to L.A. on the Eagle/Sunset, the Sunset's sleepers are forward and the Eagle's coach and sleeper are located aft.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Electricron, sorry to take a "snipe" at your factually correct immediate posting, but I cannot resist in this instance.

Your post addresses vehicles, i.e. trains, and not crafts, i.e. air or water; therefore: rear vice aft.
  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Electricron, sorry to take a "snipe" at your factually correct immediate posting, but I cannot resist in this instance.

Your post addresses vehicles, i.e. trains, and not crafts, i.e. air or water; therefore: rear vice aft.
I'm an old salt, and for me rear becomes before admiral, and they usually lead. Note I also used the nautical word forward instead of front as well. Thanks for the correction anyways.
  by Tadman

To clarify, yes, there is a solo P42 then the trans dorm sleeper. You get a front row to the horn show, and it's LOUD. This in comparison to most overnight trains, which have a second P42 and baggage giving you a bit of distance to the horn.

Normally this doesn't bug me - I sleep in the lead car of MU trains all the time, but that's a catnap...
  by jobtraklite

Tadman wrote:To clarify, yes, there is a solo P42 then the trans dorm sleeper. You get a front row to the horn show, and it's LOUD. This in comparison to most overnight trains, which have a second P42 and baggage giving you a bit of distance to the horn.
I didn't have any trouble sleeping. But I agree, the horn was obnoxious. From a bike trip report where I rode the CofNO to Brookhaven, MS and back from Hammond, LA:
The City of New Orleans could have used a baggage car.
  by Tadman

Where is that baggage car? I seem to recall a heavyweight baggage car somewhere in MS, hooked to a lighweight passenger car and a steamer. They were all dead cold on display at a station, but I don't recall them having a roof over the top.
  by JLJ061

Tadman wrote:Where is that baggage car? I seem to recall a heavyweight baggage car somewhere in MS, hooked to a lighweight passenger car and a steamer. They were all dead cold on display at a station, but I don't recall them having a roof over the top.
McComb, MS.
  by jobtraklite

Tadman wrote:Where is that baggage car?
The baggage car along with a Pullman formed an open air, weed infested museum along side the Tammany Trace Bike Trail between Mandeville and Abita Springs, LA. The Tammany Trace was formerly an IC line between Slidell and Covington, LA.

The Pullman
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Tracklite, while hardly saying you are proposing such, somehow I think that 3BR-1CP-1DR-Lng (PSCM 1942), "General Jackson", is too far gone for any thought of resurrection by Mr. Ellis or any other interested party.

I believe the final assignment for this car was the "City of Miami" in-season - likely until about 1966 (serious "downgrading" of IC trains started during 1967).