• Code 83 HO turnouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by David Hutchinson

Would any of you like to comment on using Atlas code 83 switches versus Walthers or Peco? I have settled on Atlas code 83 flex track but have not made up my mind on switches. I really do not enjoy wiring switches, so I am leaning towards the Atlas ones.

by Otto Vondrak

Peco seems to be the wave of the future, I see a lot more people adopting their products.

-otto-

by David Hutchinson

I was looking through the net for photos of Atlas code 83 switches. I have seen the flex track and love the smaller ties. However, the switches appear to have the chunkier, code 100 type ties. Am I wrong?

by boblenon

We have recently used micro-engineer's weathered code 83 flex track and some peco and walthers (shinohara) turnouts on some freemo modules. Compared to the atlas turnouts, they both look so much better.

From previous exerpeicne, we had had issues with Peco code 100 insulfrogs - and we had to insulate them anyways (the wheels could short across the frog) - so when we did the code 83 stuff we were expecting the problem :) Other than that the switches look great and we have had no problems with them.

As for the flex track, there are some size differences between atlas, peco and ME. The ME track was far more realistic - having a normal sized head to the rail; whereas the atlas track had a enlarged head.

by CIOR

I use Walthers Code 83 on my mainlines. I've tried the others. Atlas is ok, but not really great looking. Peco, even with there new release I am still not happy. Honestly no one has made a close to proto rtr turnout. But in my opinion, Walthers has the best currently.
I have had a few Micro Engineering turnouts, but all but one failed in a years time (at the points)

I suggest buying one of each your considering and then having a look at them. If your still not sure, take a section of layout and build it up, lay it down and scenic it. Then make your choice.
Remember, decide and take the time to do it now, you won't regret it later.

by snowplough

Senor CIOR,

If you don't mind my asking, were the ME turnouts that failed at the points equipped with the old metal throwbar or with the new plastic one? I'd like to know because I'm considering using the new ME turnouts on my layout (since they look so much better than any other readily available turnout).

Thanks,

snowplough

by steemtrayn

Has anyone here had any experience with Central Valley turnout kits?

by brokenrail

You can always try handlaying turnouts. I have found it to be very satisfying and not very hard. Also you can have fun building any turnout size. I got to the point where I just laid out ties, laid the two outer most rails, used a gauge to determine the frog location and angle and went from there. You can even lay long ties, add the rails and cut off the ends of the ties to fit. All you need is a grinder, solder and gun. I quickly switched to code 70 and even built a code 55 diamond. My branches are code 70 on the "main" and 55 on the sidings. The diamond was code 55 because they were too cheap to spring for a new one when replacing the other rail in the area.

by ANDY117

I'm sticking by Atlas Code 100 forever. They're durable, and anything rolls on them.

by Otto Vondrak

Andy, you may say that now... but someday you'll want the finer scale appearance of Code 83- and there are plenty of Code 83 products out there. If your equipment doesn't run on Code 83, get some wheels are in scale, man!

-otto-

by BrianS

Andy, you may say that now... but someday you'll want the finer scale appearance of Code 83- and there are plenty of Code 83 products out there. If your equipment doesn't run on Code 83, get some wheels are in scale, man........

Rodger that.... I like creaking over 90 pound rail from 1923 in New London yard while im switching out trains..Gets the blood flowing when you are riding the sides of cars.

Looks better too!!! (makes the trains look bigger, more normal sized)

Brian
Conductor, NECR