• CNJ Mainline Schedules Before After Aldene Plan

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by genesis11980

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on CNJ Mainline (RVL) schedules both right before and right after the Aldene Plan was implemented. I have seen timetables from the 1975-1978 era and they are not very much different from the current RVL schedule on NJ TRANSIT, with some trains actually dpearting stations only minutes different over this span of 25 + years. Was there significantly more service prior to the Aldene Plan and was service cut to essentially today's levels immediately, or was it reduced slowly over time from say 1967-1975, or so?

Thanks for the insight.
  by ccutler

I was only a kid at the time, and hopefully some old timers are around to tell us more. you may try the y**oo CNJ groups to find out more. This is what I remember:

There were three tracks running east from Bound Brook after the Aldene plan, and the main difference in scheduling between the post-Aldene schedules and today would have been in rush hour, when the express trains could pass the locals, there were better express schedules, and some train service extended as far as Phillipsburg. NJT, in an act of unprecedented brilliance, built high-level platforms across the RVL for the two- or three- wheelchair passengers they get per year, leaving no space for a third track in between them. Thus, any hope of restoring the CNJ line's full passenger capacity was crushed.

The other big change in schedules was, of course, the elimination of direct service to Jersey City, with traffic to points east of Cranford now served by a shuttle. That service was ultimately discontinued when the Newark Bay Bridge was dismantled to make room for larger ships for the harbor.
  by Ken W2KB

ccutler wrote:I was only a kid at the time, and hopefully some old timers are around to tell us more. you may try the y**oo CNJ groups to find out more. This is what I remember:

There were three tracks running east from Bound Brook after the Aldene plan, and the main difference in scheduling between the post-Aldene schedules and today would have been in rush hour, when the express trains could pass the locals, there were better express schedules, and some train service extended as far as Phillipsburg. NJT, in an act of unprecedented brilliance, built high-level platforms across the RVL for the two- or three- wheelchair passengers they get per year, leaving no space for a third track in between them. Thus, any hope of restoring the CNJ line's full passenger capacity was crushed.

The other big change in schedules was, of course, the elimination of direct service to Jersey City, with traffic to points east of Cranford now served by a shuttle. That service was ultimately discontinued when the Newark Bay Bridge was dismantled to make room for larger ships for the harbor.
I absolutely concur that room should have been left for a third track, but the primary reason for the high level platforms is to reduce the station dwell time. Passengers can get on and off much more quickly. If all RVL stations at were high level, trip times would be considerably shortened.
  by NY&LB

I dug out my old TTs First Oct 30, 1966

Departures (weekdays) from Jersey City to Raritan as follows:AM: 1212,0611,0712,0743,0812,0912,1012,1112, PM 1212,112,212,312,412,443,505,517,522,545,557 (ex to Bound Brook), 559,612,643,712,812,912,1012,1112. PLUS trains terminating in Cranford, and Plainfield. the 1212 AM 517 PM and 557 PM went to Hampton and the 612 to High Bridge

Now April 30, 1967

Departures from NEWARK Penn to Raritan: AM 1258,640,813,850,930,1045,1145, PM 1245,151,255,427,527 EX. to Plainfield, 534,556,600,623,650,720,826,945,1125 3 additional trains to Plainfield at 638 AM, 708AM, 459 PM and 517PM. only the 527 and 600 through to Hampton.

So 6 RARITAN trains were cut and the aftermidnight train was cut back from Hampton to Raritan, was hourly service at 12 past the hour from 7 AM to MIDNIGHT with the rouge 611AM train! Someone else can now compare to current schedules.
  by ebtmikado

PLUS, during rush hours, there were trains to/from Kearny and Newark (Broad Street) to Plainfield.
And Reading trains from Jersey City to Bound Brook.