• CNJ GP7 #1523

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by chuchubob

by metman499

Great photos as always Bob.
  by chuchubob

I was told by a CMSL insider that 1523 was fired up last Tuesday (May 18) and "she purred like a kitten."
  by gravelyfan

Unit was running on the south end of the CMSL fantrip this past Saturday (5/22), but it was leaking water all day. Perhaps it needs radiator work?
See Mike DiMunno's photos of the trip - there is a link through the New Jersey Railfan forum.

by steamfreak

Wasn't the 1523 sitting at Whippany Yard for years?... I know Black River has a 1500 series engine running. Which one was leased to Cape May

by gravelyfan

steamfreak wrote:Wasn't the 1523 sitting at Whippany Yard for years?... I know Black River has a 1500 series engine running. Which one was leased to Cape May

I believe the CNJ 1523 was formerly at BR&W. 1524 may be in storage at the NJT Morristown Coach yard - not sure though.

by OCtrainguy

Yes, the 1523 was used on the BR&W. While riding the BR&W last June, I took this photo of GP7 1523. Image

by BigDell

Just found this post...
Wow, 1523 is a BEAUTIFUL engine....
Man - I've GOT to dig up some of my OLD CNJ shots and scan them.
Brings back great memories.
Thanks!
BigDell

by Ken W2KB

When it visits Hoboken and is spotted at the bumper on one of the terminal tracks, it evokes memories of JC Terminal.