• CN buys used power

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by miklin

CN has purchased 35 ex UP (exx C&NW) C41-8 to be renumbered in the 2100 series
  by Leo_Ames

Nice to see some second hand GE's find a second home.

Have any of the rest found new homes? I believe all the C&NW Dash 8-40C's have now been retired.
  by Deval

just what CN needs - another series of crap engines to die on the road...
  by ENR3870

Deval wrote:just what CN needs - another series of crap engines to die on the road...
And this surprsises you how?
  by Deval

It's not a surprise - it's a complaint... :wink:
ENR3870 wrote:And this surprsises you how?
  by drawbar77

Actually they bought 60 of em. I don't care what they do as long as they put rooftop ac's on them
  by CN Sparky

60? Damn.

I would be surprised if they retrofit A/C to the units. Very surprised. You don't see CN putting A/C on any of the other units...
  by CN_Hogger

Well, units that are designated for US operations have been getting A/C. Many IC and GTW GP's have gotten A/C. I'm not holding my breath on it though.
  by Tadman

Weren't these ordered with standard cabs well into the safety/comfort cab era? Kind of like the NS and IC straight SD70's? Strictly from a foamer standpoint, I always liked the standard cabs; I have no idea what makes more sense for crews or management.
  by CN Sparky

So.. out of curiosity.. are these officially considered to be C40-8's? This is why I ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Dash_8-40C
drawbar77 wrote:Actually they bought 60 of em. I don't care what they do as long as they put rooftop ac's on them
Where are the other 25 from? First I've heard of there being more than the 35 we all know about.
  by Deval

I was talking to the diesel doctors the other day, and was told the other 25 are coming from BNSF. This means they will be former ATSF wide cab units.

It's amazing to me that we can't spend money to maintain our own engines, but can find money to buy other people's junk.
  by CN Sparky

Apparently 2125 hit the road on the 18th.. somewhere in WI now.
  by CN_Hogger

Deval wrote:I was talking to the diesel doctors the other day, and was told the other 25 are coming from BNSF. This means they will be former ATSF wide cab units.

It's amazing to me that we can't spend money to maintain our own engines, but can find money to buy other people's junk.
I just can't wait to have more beat to s*** engines to run!
  by gp9rm4108

2125 is in Winnipeg.