• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by glennk419

David wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:WPCA-51 left NS 5803 at Tuckahoe for CMSL to use last night.

CMSL needs an engine? I wonder why.
Horsepower hours? Maybe CMSL had to do some shifting in the past that CSAO couldn't due to the way the power was facing, etc?
  by wolfboy8171981

There may or may not be an issue with a thin flange on one of the locomotives following an inspection that Conrail requires before these trips can run, its a standard inspection for foreign equipment. I suspect that since Conrail will also not allow the RDC's to act like a cab car, another locomotive was needed.
  by scottso699

I agree. Every year that I go to Cape May I stop in Tuckahoe to see how the place hasn't changed and all I ever see is 7000 and 1523 moved. The F units and the RS never move. I was floored when I read here that NS left a unit to be used by the CMSL. That tells me without hearing any other explanation (wow what shock... veil of secrecy) that there are some major issues with the motive power that CMSL currently has. I never have understood the lack of communication and I never will. Since I am moving to North Carolina in the spring I will unfortunately never be able to ride a train to Cape May City. The whole thing is just frustrating and sad (so is the fact that it cost upwards of $200 for a family of four to ride a train - as you mentioned earlier Megan).
  by prr60

scottso699 wrote:I agree. Every year that I go to Cape May I stop in Tuckahoe to see how the place hasn't changed and all I ever see is 7000 and 1523 moved. The F units and the RS never move. I was floored when I read here that NS left a unit to be used by the CMSL. That tells me without hearing any other explanation (wow what shock... veil of secrecy) that there are some major issues with the motive power that CMSL currently has. I never have understood the lack of communication and I never will. Since I am moving to North Carolina in the spring I will unfortunately never be able to ride a train to Cape May City. The whole thing is just frustrating and sad (so is the fact that it cost upwards of $200 for a family of four to ride a train - as you mentioned earlier Megan).
The CMSL rates are $16 adult, $10 child (2-12) round trip. A family of four can ride for between $52 and $64 depending the age of the kids.
  by bluedash2

I can tell you the 7000 will be used. There may be an issue with the CNJ unit, but can get that confirmed. There are also a couple of the passenger cars being used in addition to the RDC's. I saw prep work being done today and that's how things looked. Anyway- why after all this time do you all still complain? It's a moot point anymore. The URHS is probably happy someone can keep their property from becoming overloaded with locos. I agree there's not so great communication tho.
  by bluedash2

And Meghan - the PRR unit gets used the most. If that's the case with a thin flange it may be legit as you don't sound like you have RR experience. Equipment gets used and parts need to be replaced, period. They do store cars for Conrail down there and have plenty of cars stored there as of today. Amazing everyone knows so much about their problems but never shares that with these groups. I guess it's too easy to trash and complain instead...
  by David

bluedash2 wrote:And Meghan - the PRR unit gets used the most. If that's the case with a thin flange it may be legit as you don't sound like you have RR experience. Equipment gets used and parts need to be replaced, period. They do store cars for Conrail down there and have plenty of cars stored there as of today. Amazing everyone knows so much about their problems but never shares that with these groups. I guess it's too easy to trash and complain instead...

Good comments, Bluedash2 :-)
  by glennk419

WOW, this board never ceases to amaze me.

For weeks there has been nothing but grumbling about a schedule not being posted and speculation, which continues, as to the reason for the delays or if CMSL would ever run again.

If there's an alleged issue with a wheel flange, it certainly didn't develop overnight. Even the most used units, 7000 and the RDC's, can't have seen over 200 miles +/- since their last inspections and it's not like there are a lot of tight tangents on the track they're running which would beat up the wheels.

THE SCHEDULE HAS BEEN POSTED AND TRAINS WILL BE RUNNING TOMORROW!!

I am certain that the equipment which runs tomorrow will be rail worthy and that Tony would not risk the safety of his crews or passengers (or what's left of his reputation from some of the posters here). I'm not sure that I'll make it down this year but wish CMSL a successful few weeks of running and hope to hear some of the stories of the enjoyment that the new little railfans get from their riding experience.
  by wolfboy8171981

I have a clear conflict of interest here on more than one end. All I can say is that I received an email from my employer before Thanksgiving informing me what equipment could and could not be used and what it could and could not be used for. My "lawyer" has a copy of said e-mail.

Then NS 5803 or 5802 was left at Tuckahoe a week later, its a Christmas miracle.
  by nomis

Thanks for the update wolfboy & following of Rule L. In the Railroads Of Southern New Jersey FB group, there are photos from yesterday with the 1523 on the Cape May branch, and the NS 5803 is LHF on the South End of an URHS coach (329 or 317 presumably) on 2 track presumably, but none of those photos have the 7000 in it.

Guess we just have to see what's on the north end tonight & if those locos stay on their respective ends through the days of running :-D :-)
  by bluedash2

Correct. The 5803 on the south end, 2 cars, the 2 RDC's and the 7000 (I posted here that's being used) on the north end as of yesterday. I know since they were my pics you saw, lol..😊
  by scottso699

Meghan wrote:Tony's fare is very reasonable. The $200 I quoted is for New Hope.

One of the good things he has done is keep it within reach of the average working family.

:) Meghan
Exactly - I was also referring to the New Hope and Ivyland. A great ride but I'm sorry - not worth $20 a ticket. WHen they posted tickets for their dinner train on their Facebook page at $75 a ticket advertising a great night out I almost fell off my chair. I had to stand up and say it was completely ridiculous at $75 a ticket and what planet were they living on that they thought $150 is reasonable to pay for a night out for 2.
  by scottso699

bluedash2 wrote:I can tell you the 7000 will be used. There may be an issue with the CNJ unit, but can get that confirmed. There are also a couple of the passenger cars being used in addition to the RDC's. I saw prep work being done today and that's how things looked. Anyway- why after all this time do you all still complain? It's a moot point anymore. The URHS is probably happy someone can keep their property from becoming overloaded with locos. I agree there's not so great communication tho.
Why do we still complain? For the very reason you just stated. Communication is non-existent. We know there are problems and things happen but when you don't tell people what the problem is - that's acting shady and in some regards disrespectful to a group who are die hard rail supporters and so much want this to work.