• Closed Entraces on T

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jumbotusk

Why are there so many closed entrances at T stations?

At Hynes, the Eastbound exit I wish was still open, directly onto Boylston Street. It would actually make access to the Hynes Center easier, as well as the Pru.

When and why did this close?

What about the South exit at Park Street (greenline) onto Boston Common?

If its a money issue, and they cant pay for extra token collectors, why not do what they have at Central or Kendall... open the turnstiles for tokens or passholders only.

by efin98

Ridership at Hynce/ICA isn't too great as to require the secondary exit and like the secondary exit at Arlington Street the secondary exit at Hynes/ICA is open during the Boston Marathon so it does get used at least once a year.

Regarding the Park Street entrance, there is an entrance onto the Boston Common: the main one. The secondary entrances are just that- secondary. If they were as highly used as those at other places then they may very well have been open but I don't think the entrances were as highly used as the Kendall and Central iron maidens. Also I don't think people entering and exiting at Park Street is an issue, I believe the vast majority of people who use the station use it as a transfer point between the Red, Green, and Orange Lines and do not actually leave the paid area of the station thus not require the secondary entrances and exits.
  by Ron Newman

jumbotusk wrote:What about the South exit at Park Street (greenline) onto Boston Common?
What about it? It's still an exit and still open. I was just there a few hours ago. The sign says something like "Exit to Information Booth", since the Boston Common tourist info center is right next to it.

by typesix

Besides money, another reason the secondary Arlington entrance was closed was because too many riders were getting mugged in that long and narrow walkway.